Pages

Mar 7, 2012

The Happiness Project: March

I'm a little late to the party this month, but here we are in March and I have a new set of resolutions.

Shall we recap February first?  February was designed to be a month to connect with my kids.  I aimed to play on the floor with them, read to them, have one-on-one time with them, and pray for them.  I'll be honest: I wasn't stellar with the check marks.  February was actually a month of mostly feeling crappy and not getting enough sleep and just trying to survive.  However, I did look at my resolution chart every day, and I did get warm fuzzies when I spent quality time with my kids.  My February resolutions definitely made me more mindful of areas I need to work on, and I intend to continue with those goals until they become habits.

That said, my January resolutions have totally fallen by the wayside.  (Anyone who looks at me might guess that.)

Now on to March.  Happily, my prescription detox is going well, and on the heels of a happy family visit I am infused with more energy and enthusiasm for life than I have had in quite some time.  I feel better prepared to embrace my March theme of "Aim Higher."  I love this quote from Anthony Robbins, which I chose to complement the theme: "Most people have no idea of the giant capacity we can immediately command when we focus all our resources on mastering a single area of our lives."

Originally I made some resolutions designed to sharpen existing skills or fill in gaps I noticed in my life.  I selected goals based on notions of how others might view my habits and behaviors, rather than on what I thought might really help me be happier.  I have since modified the goals to reflect my own sense of happiness.  To that end, I have chosen to floss daily, read the Church magazines from cover to cover, hang up my clothes when I'm done with them, and observe an evening tidy-up routine.  I know my choices are a little random.  And I know a 32-year-old really ought to have learned to floss her teeth already.

So here's to a month of aiming higher.  After February, the only way is up.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm with you on the flossing. :) I really love your goals. I need some like that in my own life! You really are inspiring in so many ways. I'm so glad you share these things with us!

Anonymous said...

Flossing is so great. I'm a fan.

I think the idea of defining your OWN happiness, as it actually manifests is your life, is so wise. What other people perceive to be "progress" or "productivity" or just plain "good" is not necessarily the stuff that makes the biggest difference in your own head.

Jenelle said...

What a great idea for resolutions! And I'm with you flossing. I only started doing it two years ago, when I was 33 :o). I'm impressed you want to accomplish so much despite having a lot on your plate.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share