Pages

Mar 4, 2012

Tyler's baptism

This has been a weekend of joy and rejoicing for our family.  Tyler's baptism into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was so amazingly wonderful that I'm not sure I can capture the spirit of the event in words.  I'm just so grateful for this happy day!


Our ward (and more especially, our Primary) is huge.  Five children turned eight in February and were all baptized on March 3.  It was fun for Tyler to share his special day with some of his buddies from church: Natalie Buchanan, Ryan Hansen, Owen Russell, and Katelyn Egbert.


During the chapel program prior to the actual baptisms, I accompanied these sweet children as they sang "Baptism."  Later, two of my friends sang an arrangement of "When I am Baptized," which three of my dear Beaverton friends wrote several years ago.  Being a part of the musical portion of the program made my heart sing.  As I played, the Holy Ghost witnessed to me the truth of the principles taught in those songs: Jesus Christ's obedient example and Atonementbaptism by immersionrepentance, and faith.

To make the baptism service a little more personal (and shorter), the boys and girls were separated for their baptisms and confirmations.  Tyler was the first to be baptized, followed by Ryan and Owen.  Tyler was also confirmed first.  I felt a rush of the Spirit as Tyler received the gift of the Holy Ghost.

A counselor from the Primary presidency prepared a special message for each of the children who were baptized.  Tyler's message included a scripture that the Primary presidency had selected just for him.  It is Doctrine & Covenants 88:118, which reads:

"And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith."

I have special reverence and appreciation for Garry this weekend.  I am so grateful that he holds and honors the priesthood, and that he was worthy to baptize and confirm Tyler.  This was a special day for father and son.


It was also a special day for our family.  Many thanks to Tyler's Grandma and Grandpa Bartle; Uncle Eric, Aunt Jentry, and cousin Beckham; and Granny and Gramps for the money, time, and effort they sacrificed to be with him on his baptism day.


We will never forget it!

5 comments:

Jeff and Lori said...

Congratulations Tyler! Sounds like a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing all you guys together! Congratulations Tyler, and I'm so glad it was a happy, memorable day. <3

Cheeri said...

Congrats Tyler! Everyone looks so happy :) What a great day!

Colleen said...

Congratulations, Tyler and all the Bartle family! What a wonderful day! And how nice to have so many family members there to share it, and the entire weekend, with you.

Jenelle said...

Wow! Tyler - you are growing up so fast. And so tall! Congratulations on this special day!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share