Pages

Mar 22, 2012

An update on the Mommy

I hit a big milestone today: I completed the 9-week Couch-to-5K training program.  I walked/jogged every mile of it on the treadmill in my basement, usually with at least one agitated child nearby.  It took me 11 weeks to work up to 30 straight minutes of jogging, but I can do that now without having a near-death experience.  (Although, to be perfectly honest, after about 20 minutes, my physical state is pretty sketchy.)  According to the Cardio Trainer app on my phone, I have walked/jogged 71.33 miles since January 14.

When Gavin was six months old, I ran a half marathon.  I probably spend too much time thinking about what my body used to be able to do (and how it looked).  I am constantly reminding myself that since May 2008, I have experienced a major move, had two very difficult pregnancies, tried to move again, and had the challenging task of rearing several rambunctious children in the middle of all that.  When I started exercising in January, it was really the first time in more than three years that I had exercised on a regular basis.  I was really starting at ground zero.  So I should be pretty happy about those 30 minutes of jogging today.  I guess the C25K program assumes runners can complete a mile in less than 10 minutes, so that running a 5K can be done in 30 minutes.  I'm not there yet, but I think I will be soon.


Having a program to work through has kept me motivated, even though I haven't lost a pound or an inch since January.  (How is that possible?)   I'm setting my sights on the Bolder Boulder 10K at the end of May.  I'm not really sure it's possible for me to run 6.2 miles, even with more training, but I'd like to try!  I've heard it's a super fun experience, and I need more fun things in my life.  So I'm on the lookout for a 10K training program.  Does anyone out there have a recommendation for me?

Before I register for the race, however, I need to figure out a few things.  Since seeing my Denver endocrinologist on March 1 and following up with a new PCP in Colorado Springs last week, this is what we know about me:

* I do not produce Vitamin D.
* My cholesterol, and more especially, my triglycerides, are ridiculously high.
* My post-menopausal hormone status is "not an issue at this point" (I disagree).
* My thyroid levels are in the normal range.
* I have inexplicable and unrelenting nausea and dizziness for which there is no apparent cause.
* I do not have cancer, diabetes, pancreatitis, or a pituitary tumor.
* I am thoroughly depressed about all of the above (except for the parts about not having scary diseases).

This is the current plan:

* Take four prescriptions (again! different ones!) to address the issues above.
* Have an ultrasound next week to investigate my misbehaving gallbladder.
* Have follow-up blood work on my thyroid in mid-April.

Are YOU thoroughly depressed yet?  I, for one, can't believe this is my life.  Occasionally, however, I do notice signs of progress.  I don't need quite as much sleep (I can stay awake after 8 p.m. and get out of bed before 8 a.m.).  I am making dinner most nights.  I can keep up with the laundry.  My general outlook on life is improving.

So, assuming my gallbladder doesn't have to come out in April, I'd like to run a 10K in May.  OK?  OK.

Back to the treadmill.

3 comments:

Five Wahlquist's said...

Training plan... Run with me :) But in all seriousness, I hope things start settling down and your body can make it happen!

Emily Hayes said...

I've been working on the C25K as well, I like having a program to work on. I'm only one week 3 though.

Emmy Z. said...

I started a Couch-to-5k program at the beginning of March, and I, too, was starting at ground zero. I'm thoroughly impressed that you're running for a solid 30+ minutes! I need that kind of inspiration right now - I'm still in the "near-death experience" phase. Go Heidi!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share