Pages

Sep 30, 2011

Someday

Someday, I will know I have arrived at being the kind of mother I want to be when I can maintain my composure under stress.

The mother I want to be will understand in the moment that a son's misplaced soccer jersey doesn't matter one tiny bit, even if it is team picture day.  She will acknowledge that she did her best to plan and prepare, and then roll with Plan B when it appears.

Someday, the mother I want to be will not yell about stupid, stupid things and have to apologize to her kids for behaving badly.

Unfortunately, today is not that day.


*Sigh*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again our lives are eerily similar. We had an incident today that involved looking for Sunday shoes and a belt for half an hour for our family pictures. We gave up when it was time to leave and one son is wearing sneakers with his fancy clothes in our pictures. I had tried so hard to be prepared ahead of time. I just overlooked the shoes detail.

I got frustrated. I raised my voice and then I had an epiphany. It's okay. This is representative of what our life is like right now. Why am I so concerned about keeping up appearances? People know our family isn't perfect. I'm not fooling anyone.

For the record, the soccer picture looks great.

Jill said...

Oops. Sorry, that was me. ^

angiedunn said...

well, if it makes you feel any better....the mother i want to be...is you. ♥

you're doing a great job. love you.

The Wizzle said...

I have this exact same conversation with myself about...weekly. I hope it's only weekly. That might be self-delusion.

You know what you want, and you are striving every minute of every day against the little insanities of life to get there. That counts for a whole lot.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share