Pages

Oct 1, 2011

Joy

Earlier this year I reconnected with a friend from my BYU freshman ward via Facebook. I don't recall being bosom buddies back in '96-'97, but I'd sure love to be Jill's neighbor now.  Too bad she lives across the country!  We both have houses full of rowdy kids and things don't always seem to go as planned.  Yesterday when my son's soccer jersey went missing, her son had to wear tennis shoes in the formal family portraits.  Life's just like that sometimes, and she helps me remember that I'm not alone in the chaos.

Jill is taking the month of October to "find joy in the journey," and I've decided to join her. I haven't decided on a format yet (maybe a little note at the end of my daily post, rather than a separate one?), but I'll share a bit of the joy I find in my days.  The new button on my blog will take you to Jill's, should you choose to follow her journey as well as mine. You're welcome to steal the button for Joy posts of your own, as well!  I think it would be great to create a network of joy-seeking friends!

Today, finding joy was easy because I tuned in to four hours of LDS General Conference. Although I loved all of the church leaders' messages, Elder Neil L. Andersen's message on motherhood really struck a chord.  His words were exactly what I needed to hear today. That was joy!  I also rejoiced with Saints all over the world as new temples were announced for Paris, France; Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo; Durban, South Africa; Baranquilla, Colombia; Star Valley, Wyoming; and Provo, Utah (the burned-out Tabernacle will be converted into a temple!  So cool!).  As I basked in the glow of the Holy Ghost, I remembered once again that faith and family are the things that bring me the greatest joy.

What joys did you have today?

3 comments:

Jill said...

Hooray! I'm so glad you are along for the ride. :)

I love what you said about a network of joy seeking friends. That would be wonderful to be able to share each others joys.

I loved General Conference too. It is always wonderful but I also loved Elder Cook's talk and I got teary eyed during President Monson's announcing the new temples and during a couple of the hymns. The hymns are always such a moving (and joy producing) aspect of the meetings for me.

Here's to another joyful four hours tomorrow!

Emma said...

I too enjoyed General Conference. I was able to take notes for the most part, while keeping 3 kiddos calm. I also had great joy when Aaron returned home from a 3 day fishing trip (at the end of the second session).

Amanda said...

I REALLY want to join you on this. My big question is whether I can actually post on my blog on a daily basis. I suppose it doesn't have to be long, right? :) OK. I'm doing it. I'll have to back-post...but I'm doing it.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share