Pages

Sep 12, 2011

The first day

Garry went back to work today, so I'm the Parent in Charge now.  I'd say it was my first day alone with five kids, but the school district had the boys in its clutches all morning (and then released them in waves), so I'm easing into my responsibilities rather slowly.

I've noticed that my mothering instincts are kicking in again (you know, since I've been largely off the grid since Christmas).  I have to laugh when a Mothering Life Lesson smacks me in the face.  Today there have been several.

*Life is an emotional roller coaster.  You can be pondering priorities and ideals one minute and be ready to hide under the covers the next.

*Parking close to a shopping cart return is better than parking close to the store.

*Small children will never want the number of chicken nuggets given them for lunch.  If you cook three a piece, they will each want (and eventually eat) six.  If you decide to skip a step and cook five for each kid, you will end up with ten headless dino nuggets on the kitchen floor.

*Just when you think you have a good handle on managing three children under four in a public place, all three will start screaming.  Hauling a thrashing two-year-old in one arm and an unwieldy car seat in the other will bring the humility rushing back.

*Babies cannot tell time, and will not automatically drop into blissful slumber just because you and the regimented small people in your house know it is nap time.

*Having a freezer full of meals isn't helpful at all if you never remember to take something out in time for it to thaw.

*Folding a load of laundry can take an entire day.

*Peanut M&Ms go a long way towards achieving short-term happiness.

*Sometimes giving up your own agenda and timeline is a significant contribution for the greater good.

*Fresh air and sunshine are good for everyone, even if it means dinner will be late.

*Staying up late to enjoy the peace and quiet is overrated.  Sleep is not.


P.S.  This is my 1,000th blog post!

11 comments:

The Wizzle said...

The shopping cart and chicken nugget truisms are still part of my daily life! Glad you survived your First Day On Your Own.

granny said...

You are doing great! Sorry about the shopping. Bah.

Melanie said...

Happy 1,000th post! I bet you're feeling your age today! ;) And three cheers for peanut M&M's--truly, happiness!

Shaina said...

After coming home from the hospital, with Kimble, I suddenly had all the kids home during Christmas break. It was a rough two weeks for sure!
Congrats on 1000!

Unknown said...

Oh, but if you count the 52 posts/year you managed for 6 years before "blogging" became cool and you converted to Google Blogger, you're a little further along than 1000! You're amazing (as a mother and as a blogger)!

Johnson Family said...

oh, these thoughts are priceless!!! I echo each of them. Except I do like to stay up sometimes, just to have things to myself for once.

Emma said...

Congrats on 1000 posts! I'm glad you survived the first day on your own. I feel like I am constantly learning and relearning how to become a mom.

Jeff and Lori said...

Oh these are SO true! I guess I have learned some Mommy life lessons after all :)

kendra said...

Isaac asked for 21 chicken nuggets today. I made him 5. He ate 3 and a half. How are all kids so different, yet SO much the same?!

Rob and Marseille said...

i am totally with you on the cart return. I think its the first thing I learned as a first time parent when shopping for the first time alone

Colleen said...

All so true! Happy 1000th!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share