Pages

Oct 30, 2011

Kate update

Digesting Kate's new feeding situation (haha...pun intended) has taken me a few days.  I have really struggled with feelings of guilt (for not recognizing her needs) and feelings of frustration (for the extra demands of our new routine).  I have consulted a few experts and given the whole situation a lot of thought.  And of course I have been feeding Kate a lot more and watching anxiously for her response.

The lactation consultant said Kate is most likely a baby who is "content to starve," or will only eat enough to stop feeling hungry.  She is so content that she probably doesn't know what true hunger is, except maybe at night.  To give her extra calories, and to help her little tummy expand, Kate is now nursing every 1.5-2.5 hours.  I'm trying to keep her nursing as long as possible during each session.  After some feedings, I also supplement with an ounce or two of pumped breast milk in a bottle.  Kate has gobbled up the extra milk.  Tomorrow I will start taking some herbs to increase my milk production. 

Since we started the new routine, I have noted a few changes.

*Kate is much more alert and is spending more time awake and engaged every day.
*She is fussier and more vocal in general.
*She smiles more easily, especially for me.  She used smile for everyone BUT me.
*She sleeps less.
*She spits up more.
*She seems hungry more frequently.

What does it all mean?  Who knows.  As for me, I devote at least twice as much time per day to Kate's feedings.  I thought I was limited before!  Even though I am quite sore and very tired, I am starting to hope that we might not have to live this way forever.  I hope that Kate's increasing demand will help with my supply (which has never been a problem before), and that we can eliminate the bottle supplements after a few weeks.  I am hoping she can be an exclusively breastfed baby, but we'll see.  Kate's growth is very important, but so is my sanity.

That said, how can I help but love this little girl?  She and Lexi were an adorable pair this morning.



Joys since my last post:

*Sending Zach on his first hike with the Webelos
*Rewarding Tyler with an ice cream date for good behavior at school
*Seeing Gavin play with a basketball team for the first time
*Going on our first post-baby date to the adult session of stake conference
*Having success with a new babysitter
*Enjoying warmer temperatures and sunshine
*Finishing an entire laundry cycle (wash, dry, fold, iron, put away) in 24 hours
*Cutting out doll clothes patterns for Christmas
*Attending the ward fall festival with five costume-clad kids
*Having a clean house on Saturday night

5 comments:

maynardmoments said...

I can say that I completely understand your situation. I have had every nursing issue under the sun, and my babies ALWAYS eat at least every 2 hours for the first three months. It is not easy at all, but try not to feel guilty. You are a great momma, and you are doing your best. Kate is very lucky.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are so great. Hang in there. I am confident you can resolve your issues, and I'm so, so proud of you for continuing to try. <3

I wish I could help more, but I'm cheering from Arizona and always available for free internet consultation!

Colleen said...

Sisters! I love them! It sounds like you are doing everything right. That is exactly the way Luke was and can still be at times, content to starve. Kind of scary sounding, isn't it? I can tell on any given day when he's been eating less and not getting enough calories just by the way he's acting, so it sounds like with these changes she may be getting more of what she needs. You are awesome, Heidi!

D said...

My third flatlined on the growth chart between 4-6 months and it was so stressful. I had gone back to work with the first two and thought maybe it was my milk, and a bunch of other things (motherhood = guilt :). I also didn't want to go to formula and just decided that my house could be messy. Now #4 is on the smaller side too, so my house is never clean and all the projects that I think I should be doing are on hold. She is 7 months now, though and looking back, I am glad that I have worried more about holding her and feeding her than mopping my floor (it is disgusting though - don't look!). It really is amazing how fast time flies when you are looking backwards. You are awesome Heidi and I love reading your blog. Make sure you post the next time you come to AZ!
Debbie

Melanie said...

Go, Joy! Those girls sure look like sisters! Wow!

It will all work out...I promise!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share