Pages

Oct 20, 2011

Scenes from a parking lot

After picking up Gavin from preschool today, I decided to let Gavin and Lexi play in the van for a few minutes while I nursed Kate.  She was overdue for a meal and having the kids contained during a nursing session is always a good idea.  Gavin and Lexi goofed around in the back seat for about five minutes.  Then Gavin urgently announced he had to go to the bathroom.  NOW.  Oh brother.

I quickly detached Kate, wrapped her up, and jumped out of the van.  Gavin climbed out after me, but Lexi was inexplicably barefoot.  The weather was cool enough and the parking lot gravelly enough that shoes were required for the trek back into the school.  With Kate in the crook of my left arm, I struggled to help put Lexi's shoes on again.  Just as we finished, I realized that Gavin, who had been standing near me (by the driver's door), was relieving himself on the front tire of the van.

"Gavin!" I screeched.

He looked up at me with big, innocent eyes.  "I just really had to go, Mom."

What could I do?

I erupted into laughter of the convulsive variety.  It over my whole body.  And I wasn't alone!  A car full of district employees was parked adjacent to mine.  They had obviously witnessed the entire scene.  One of the women rolled down her window and said, "That was fantastic!  Don't worry about it!  I wish I was a boy!"  I could see that the other women were hooting with laughter, too.  They really thought the scene was hilarious.  We all laughed some more, and then I herded my kids back into the van.

Life with Gavin is never dull.

...

Today's joys:

*Waking up at 5:00 a.m. and realizing Kate had slept 10 hours.  I slept seven!
*Returning to D&C study group.  I love those ladies!
*Receiving happy baby news from three different people.
*Soaking up the gorgeous fall colors.  I can't get enough of them!

4 comments:

granny said...

Never dull indeed. Love that kid. I'm glad you laughed. You should. :)

Rob and Marseille said...

hey saved you time & energy! yay that Kate slept so well!

Emma said...

I'm glad you all got a good laugh! :)

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome story! Boys are SO MUCH easier. I have totally had Dev pee into a cup in the car while driving. Not on a road trip, either. It was just so.much.easier in that moment!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share