Pages

Oct 15, 2011

Spook-tacular

A few days ago I told the kids we were going to have a spooky dinner to celebrate Halloween.  You'd think I had told them they had won the lottery.  Their eyes lit up with wonder....and they have been pestering me ever since.

Well, today was the BIG DAY.  Spooky Dinner Day.  For all the "oohs" and "ahhs" it got, I think the dinner was a smashing success.  We actually had so much fun that we might make this an annual tradition.  And maybe we'll eat silly food for all holidays.  I guess it depends on how ambitious I feel.

The kids dressed up in their new Halloween duds.  Matchy-matchy and super fun.  I love it.  Last night I spookified the house with a few Halloween decorations, which we didn't photograph today, but suffice it to say that tables and walls and children were all sufficiently festive.  [Many thanks to our sweet Granny, who gave the kids their fun clothes and all the tableware shown below, which was the inspiration for our fun "party."]


We sat down to a feast concocted from recipes found on OurBestBites.com.  We enjoyed Mummy Dogs, Bones 'n Blood, Monster Jaws, and Spooky Juice.


The ice cubes floating in the juice were supposed to glow in the dark, but our tonic water failed under the black light (bummer!).  The kids did love finding plastic bat-shaped rings frozen in their ice cubes, however.


For dessert we ate Dirt and Worms.


All in all, it was a fun family meal.  I'm not sure how it happened, but we ended up discussing The Dixon Fairness Doctrine over dinner, which always makes me smile.

It was a good night.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a fun Mama :)

Jill said...

Love it! I love the idea to freeze the rings in the ice cubes. Mummy dogs have been a tradition at our house the past couple of years. This year my seven year old checked out a cookbook of creepy recipes from the school library and my boys really want to try some of them. We'll see how energetic I am feeling.

Danielle said...

love the idea! now, to make it happen... :)

Mark Dixon said...

Boo! Loved the costumes.

Dan and Katie said...

Love it!

Colleen said...

Such fun! I am glad you got into the "spirit" of things. :)

maynardmoments said...

Looks so fun. Your kids sure look excited in the picture!

Rob and Marseille said...

how fun to have a family dinner party!

angiedunn said...

well, that's the cutest thing i've ever seen!! i was with gran when those shirts were purchased....they are even cuter on! :) you are amazing doing this & i'm sure the kids will always remember it. ♥

Grandma said...

Cute kids and cute ideas! I'm sure they loved it.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share