Pages

May 14, 2011

Summer buzz



Yesterday after school I cornered the boys for kitchen hair cuts.  I've been wanting to get my hands on their shaggy heads for weeks.  I just knew that 20 minutes of clipping could help that twitch in my eye go away.  Sadly, the boys weren't interested in a trim.  They had "buzz or nothing" attitudes, and frankly, I can live with the compromise.  Zach wanted a razor shave, which spawned some interesting discussion while I employed the clippers in a less extreme manner.


Zach and Tyler have just two weeks of school left before the summer break.  I have long been dreading this summer, which conveniently coincides with my third trimester.  I want the summer to be fun and memorable for the kids, but I am physically limited and emotionally spent.  I don't have unlimited financial resources, either.  I'm hoping some of you might be able to offer your ideas for structure, education, and entertainment as we face 11 weeks of 24/7 family togetherness.


What works for you?

4 comments:

Adri said...

I've been thinking a lot about summer, too. I'm trying to get my act together to calendar a weekly (or maybe twice-a-week) 'camp create' project and I'm also planning on 'field trip Friday.' When organization finds its way to my door, I'll let you know our plans. You and your kiddles are always welcome to join us!

Rob and Marseille said...

ooo...I want ideas too! I'm planning on breaking the day up & having different things to do during different times (between breakfast & lunch) , during naptime, after nap time-dinner. I don't know what we are doing yet though...

The Wizzle said...

I love Ty's hair! I don't usually like buzzes, but I think your boys rock them.

As for summer...I don't have a plan. At all. I do know that we all do better with a little structure (just having certain things to do on certain days, roughly at the same times, etc.)

I imagine I will to to the gym a lot, do a lot of story times at the library and various bookstores (the story times are free, but I will revise this plan if it leads to too much "can I buy this?"). Lots of swimming too - last year we swam almost every afternoon.

Of course, none of those are probably really awesome options for you. We have different summer needs, too - going outside is out of the question unless it's into a body of water!

linda said...

I registered my boys for some summer day programs, and we will take lots of trips to the library, the park, the city pool.. My oldest son is autistic and has to have structure, he is going to spend one day at week in respite care so that I can run errands with my youngest son.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share