Pages

May 20, 2011

1 lb 12 oz

I have been going to OB appointments every week or two for the last couple of months to check on Baby's growth and to make sure pre-term labor isn't imminent.  Today was the last in this series of visits, which means good news!  Baby's growth is right on track for 25 weeks, 4 days.  She looks healthy and strong, with a heart rate of 150 and a current estimated weight of 1 pound, 12 ounces.  I have lots and lots of ultrasound photos of our little sweetie, but I especially like today's profile shot.  *Sigh*  Love her.  





Everyone, including my doctor, asks how I am feeling as I approach the third trimester.  This is becoming a bit of a game for me.  When I answer honestly (I feel lousy!), people act like they don't really want to know.  They think I should feel great by now, and of course I definitely agree.  So I'm debating the merits of lying (to make small talk simpler) versus being honest (and making people uncomfortable).  I try not to dwell on my issues, but it's hard for me to pretend that I feel fantastic.  Is that wrong?  I'm wondering if this is a case where realism isn't really practical.


The other thing people seem curious about is the baby's name.  We have made absolutely no progress on this score.  I suppose we will eventually, but at the moment all discussions lead to the same conclusion: an impasse.  We just might have a Random Citizen in the family.

11 comments:

Shaina said...

Her profile looks might "Bartle-like". Is it strange that I think she already looks like your other kids?
Not every pregnancy makes people feel wonderful! If you don't feel terrific, then that's that! There's no mandatory feeling specific to pregnancy, am I right?

Jeff and Lori said...

She's beautiful! Wish you were feeling better, but you still sound deeply happy and pretty dang positive to me.

Amanda said...

I have never once in any of my pregnancies felt great. Ever. And I know I don't get as sick as you do. Just know that as I think about adding to my family, your experiences make me realize that I can do it again. So, thanks for being a great example of seeing the positive in spite of the major challenges.

granny said...

Yes yes yes! So glad the ultrasound looks good and she is growing just right.

My opinion on the "how are you feeling" question is be gently honest! If they don't want to know the truth, they shouldn't ask.

The Wizzle said...

I think honesty is best. If people don't know how to handle an honest answer, then at the very least it might make them think a little harder before asking next time!

I'm sorry you're still feeling crummy. It's a long, long road.

On the plus side, that is one STINKING cute baby!

Lloyd said...

Looks like a cute kid, don't worry about the thoughts of others, own your misery!

I am no longer allowed to suggest girl names. The last one I suggested was overwhelmingly shot down:
Polly Esther Shell (Geddit?) We could have called her Esther, no problem. I was really anticipating the reaction on her blessing day though....

Laura said...

If you feel lousy, then you are certainly allowed to say so. If people are just asking to be polite, then it serves them right if they are uncomfortable with the answer. If they are asking cuz they really want to know, then you are doing them a disservice by not being truthful and possibly denying yourself the opportunity to have someone render you a kindness of some sort. Whether that's offering a meal or something as simple as a hug, who cares? But if you don't tell them how you are really feeling, how are they gonna know your needs?

Grandma said...

So glad she's growing and doing well. Sorry you're not doing as well.

maynardmoments said...

Hooray for baby Bartle! Glad she is growing and healthy. And yes, you are just fine telling how you really feel. That's what friends are for.

angiedunn said...

i agree that random citizen already looks like your other cute kids!

oh, sister. i'm sorry pregnancy is so rough. if it makes you feel any better, a while back a lady at target asked me when i was due [keep in mind, i am not pregnant].......i told her july. :) she said congratulations & we went our separate ways. :) sometimes you gotta lie for your own sanity. :)

Colleen said...

I love those photos. And that is a great one! I think honesty is always the best policy. If people don't want to really know, they shouldn't ask.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share