Pages

May 3, 2011

32


Well, folks, I turned 32.  Speaking at Women's Conference on my birthday made it one of the most memorable celebrations I imagine I will ever have.  So many things about that day made it a very special birthday, full of people and memories I will always hold close to my heart.

As soon as I got home on Sunday, I celebrated with my family.  Garry made the dinner I had requested (and the kids didn't complain about my choice!), and we had lovely conversation at the table. Being away for a few days sure made me appreciate that.  Then Garry presented an amazingly time- and effort-intensive chocolate and peanut butter layer cake that was super yummy!  Garry and the kids spoiled me with fun presents that I love.

Among them was a toaster to replace this ancient beast.  This toaster was a wedding gift in June 1998 and has been our faithful companion for almost 13 years.  The bagel function broke several years ago and it overheats pretty easily nowadays, but it still works!  The biggest downside is that our family has outgrown a two-slot toaster.  Even though I was ready to move on and I'm generally not very sentimental about objects, I felt like I was throwing away a piece our family history on Sunday!  Just thinking about how many pens and papers Zach toasted as a child made me a little wistful...


That said, I am thrilled about the newest addition to our counter top.  I hope it is as functional as it is pretty.  May it grace our kitchen for many years to come.




Birthdays are always a time of self-reflection for me.  As I really look at the picture at the top, I see a girl (I suppose one of these days I should grow up enough to call myself a woman) who has many, many blessings.  Chiefest among those are my husband and children and my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Walking through BYU campus this week brought back so many memories for me--some happy, some stressful, and some painful.  When I was a student there I didn't know if I would ever have a child.  Now that I have five, my little heart is full to bursting with the joy that blessing brings. Through the intervening years my religious convictions have also grown, shaping who I am today.


My life is far from perfect.  I am far from perfect.  In fact, this week has revealed to me more weaknesses than I care to admit.  Like my old toaster, some of my buttons are broken and I definitely overheat too often. I'm not as shiny and fresh as I'd like to be.  But hopefully between now and my next birthday, I can develop a greater capacity to fulfill my life's mission and can do it in a way that blesses more people than before.


Now who would like a slice of toast?

12 comments:

Jill said...

I'll take a slice! I'm glad you had a wonderful and memorable birthday. I think many of us face some of those old-toaster type challenges that you mentioned. I know I have problems in the over-heating department as well, but isn't it wonderful that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we can become shiny and new again? As always, thank you for sharing your perspective. Cheers to you!

Randa Farnsworth said...

Me! Our toaster broke on saturday! I think we will be getting a 4 slice toaster next too!

Jenny said...

Happy late birthday, my friend!

kendra said...

You spoke beautifully. I was happy to be at Women's Conference. After we said our goodbyes and started walking out the door we turned back to get a picture with you and you were surrounded by people! Just know we were thinking about you a lot that day. Anyways, thanks again for a talk that I didn't realize I needed. I'm trying hard to hold on to that feeling that was there at Women's Conference.

Johnson Family said...

Oh Heidi! Your so wonderful at writing your feelings! Happy birthday! I always thought I was the youngest in our grade, but you are younger than me..... (like that matters now that we are 32..hehehe)
Love ya, Christa

Anonymous said...

I love you Heidi! You are one amazing woman and I admire everything about you. Happy Birthday to you--You are one of the longest & dearest friendships I have had in my life.

Now about that toast...I like mine with a little butter and lots of homemade jam :)

xoxo

The Wizzle said...

Tee hee. I tend to overheat too! Maybe it's time for a personality upgrade.

The toaster looks awesome, I'm so lad you had such a memorable birthday, and I'd like my toast with butter and homemade strawberry jam!

granny said...

Oooh toast! {just had some, made with hamburger buns since we are officially out of bread}

You are a lovely 32. Isn't it great that we can continually upgrade?

Heidi said...

That toaster is fabulous!!! Happy B-Day, love you!

Colleen said...

Sounds like a GREAT celebration of a fabulous woman!

Holly said...

TOAST?! TOAST!!!!!
:) I love you sister!

Anonymous said...

I have a toaster-for-a-gift story. it doesn't have a happy ending like yours. but i am glad that yours does and it is a pretty toaster. I found out that my mom got rid of my childhood toaster and almost cried. it was ugly but made perfect toast every single time. they just don't make them like they used to.(no, that's not my toaster story.)

i'm so happy for you that women's conference went so well and that you got to spend time with your mom (who hasn't changed since we were little!!!) and loved ones. you are a delight and i am sure that those in attendance were uplifted and rejuvinated by your words and insights. This is much longer than i intended...sorry.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share