Pages

May 30, 2011

Funeral For a Fish, Part Three



I wasn't quite fast enough with this blog post.

On Saturday Garry went to Walmart with a list that included a fish net and fish food for Zachary's newly acquired pet.  When I signed his permission slip, I told him his fish would live in a vase.  I fully expected it to die right away, and that would be that.  No financial or emotional investment.  Just another brief trial and a "win" in Mom's anti-pet column.  (I know, I know...I'm so callous.)

Then Garry came home with food and net, plus a bowl, rocks, fake plant...and three more fish.  He spent less than ten dollars on the lot and the kids were thrilled.  The new goldfish were quickly named: Creamsicle, Yeti, and Bob.  All day Saturday, I expected one of them to go belly-up.  After all, our record with fish is 3 days, and last time Gavin killed two in 24 hours.

Yesterday I thought it was so weird that the little fishies continued to swim.  And then, after the kids went to bed, Bob died.  Bob was Tyler's fish.  We left him in the bowl overnight so Tyler could see him before he got flushed.  It was a tragic scene.


Somehow, "I told you so" doesn't seem like appropriate commentary at a funeral. At least Tyler lost a tooth yesterday and can console himself with the dollar he found under his pillow.

7 comments:

granny said...

Aw, that is sad for Tyler. As much as I didn't like pets, I didn't like them dying either.

The Wizzle said...

Pets dying breaks my heart! Poor Tyler.

I'm telling you, a tortoise is the pet-haters's perfect pet! So much sturdier than fish!

Grandma said...

Oh, Tyler looks so sad. Fish are hard to keep alive. Sorry!

maynardmoments said...

And with that dollar, he can buy 5 more fish! j/k

Shannon said...

Tyler's expression is hilarious! Poor kid. Have you tried a beta fish? We've had two with some success. They're beautiful to look at, fun and easy to care for, and LOW maintenance. I'm an anti-pet advocate too (at least at this time in my life) and we've enjoyed having the beta fish around. The only problem we've had with them is that they like warmer water and so they don't do so well during the winter when we keep our house pretty cold. Other than that, I'd totally recommend one (and only one at a time--the males will kill each other). You might give it a try!

Danielle said...

lol, his face with the 'i told you so' commentary has me giggling. yeah, maybe best just to think it. :)

Colleen said...

Awww, it's always sad when a pet dies, even a three day old fish. Tyler's sad little face... :(

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share