Pages

May 10, 2011

Do I dare post this picture?



For Mother's Day, my family gave me a bicycle.


I have wanted a bike for years.  Family bike rides sound like lots of fun, although I'm not sure what to do with all the little people.  Two years ago a bike was on my birthday wish list but we bought a dishwasher instead (stupid responsible choices).  This year a bike was pretty far from my mind, what with my awkward state and all, so it was a super fun surprise to find it sitting on the back porch on Sunday afternoon.  Garry even bought me a helmet (my first one ever).


I'm pretty sure I haven't ridden a bike since I was a BYU student in 1999, and even that was short-lived (too many hills; I preferred to walk).  So it was with some trepidation that I straddled the bike and prepared to ride it around the culdesac with my four children looking on.  I knew I might humiliate myself.  Or kill myself.  Or both.


But, as it turned out, I remembered how to ride a bike.  And it was actually pretty fun.  Lexi shouted and clapped for me on the sidewalk.  "Dood job, Mom!  You're doing it!"  Gavin warned: "Put on your helmet!"  Some neighbors drove up during my joy ride and commented on my pajamas and my apron and my too-large-for-24-weeks belly.  Yes, I know.  I'm the queen of fashion and fitness, thankyouverymuch.


I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to ride around much while pregnant, so hopefully the new and beautiful bicycle will wait patiently for me to gestate.  Then perhaps it might be the ticket to the new, post-partum me.


Thanks for the fun present, Garry!  I love it.

6 comments:

Marissa said...

What a fun bike!

Rebecca said...

I remember when Paul dusted off my bike after a 4 year hiatus. Kyler looked at me and said, "Mom, I didn't know you knew how to ride a bike!" Thank goodness for muscle memory--even if those muscles may be sore afterwards.

Danielle said...

whatever-you look beautiful heidi! what a fun present! go garry! :)

The Wizzle said...

I think it's the most FABULOUS picture I've ever seen! I love it! I love the bike, I love your apron, I love the kids hanging off fore and aft. What a fun present!

Laura said...

Fun! Makes me wanna unbury my bike out of the mess in the garage and go out for a very over due family bike ride!

Alissa Maxwell said...

"It's just like riding a bike" is a saying for a reason. I had that same experience (minus pregnant belly) when Scott bought me a bike last summer. Sounds like a bike trailer is in your future...

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share