Pages

Oct 30, 2010

Life skillz

Zachary's developmental benchmarks are always new territory for us. Hopefully he can handle his guinea pig status as we fumble around trying to figure out parenting at his stage. Right now an interesting issue we face together involves laundry. This issue has many facets: what he wears (or doesn't wear, or doesn't change), what gets (or doesn't get) into the dirty clothes hamper, and what gets (or doesn't get) into his drawers or on hangers.

My specific concerns surround the changing of socks and underwear and the putting away of clean laundry. One concern involves personal hygiene, which I realize is a personality thing that will evolve with time. We are trying to teach correct principles and hoping for the best! But the other concern just frustrates me!

Last week I noticed that Zachary had a pile of clean shirts on the floor of his closet. He had obviously tried on several shirts before selecting the perfect one for school. I told Zach I expected him to re-hang the shirts, and that they had better NOT end up in the dirty clothes hamper. Two hours later, what did I find? A pile of clean shirts squished in the hamper. ARGH!


This is how Zach arrived at doing his own laundry for a month. I don't think he believed me when I informed him of the consequence, but on Thursday he realized I was serious. I spent the day washing and folding six loads of laundry...none of which belonged to him. Today, since it has been ten days since I cleaned any of his clothes, Garry helped Zachary sort his laundry to wash. He had three loads to do today, and he was not happy about it.

But at the end of the day, I had to laugh. The boy who can't seem to pick up his clothes or hang his church pants properly or change his socks organized his shirts by color.


That's my boy.

7 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Good for you, and good for him! When I find clean clothes stuffed in the hamper then hell is quickly raised. I have ENOUGH laundry to do without those kind of antics, and I know you do too!

Carroll Conversations said...

I definitely think that the consequence fit the crime perfectly. I don't think he'll be a repeat offender any time soon. Way to go! Tough life lessons, but important ones.
By the way, don't fall off your chair, but I actually had to pull out my ironing board and iron and use them on 7 work shirts for Jon. His new job is a shirt and tie kind of job. Oh how I thought of you while ironing. =)

granny said...

One of my kids still does that.

Shaina said...

I'd say the punishment fits the crime. Nothing like having the kids do a bit of work, to show just how much we should be appreciated, right?

Grandma said...

Good job teaching him! He'll be better for it.

GinaJ said...

My children do not like that I have them fold and put away their clean laundry. And the fact that when I discovered some parties were just stuffing the contents in the drawer with zero organization or folding, I made them do it more properly.

I like how Zach discovered he is very capable, after all!

Colleen said...

Nice work, Zach. And good consequence, Mom. We have the same concern...primarily the clean underwear part as well as not putting clean clothes in the dirty hamper. And we also call our Zach our "Experimental Child." Poor oldests.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share