Pages

Oct 26, 2010

Dinner conversation

I have been working hard to make dinner a more pleasant experience. As mentioned previously, the food part isn't always successful, but we are working on a formula for dinner conversation that I really love! For the last few weeks, everyone has shared two things over dinner: the best part of the day and the worst part of the day. I am finding that these are excellent conversation starters. We are all talking a lot more about the things that happen to us -- and the things that matter to us.

Last night for Family Home Evening, I shared this excellent talk by Thomas S. Monson, the prophet and president of our church. I included a story from his biography, which I started this week and can't put down. It's a treasure! Our lesson ended with a challenge: Look for ways to serve others (and act on them!) every day. We will all be accountable at the dinner table each night.

Here is a snapshot of our dinner conversation tonight:

Zachary
Best part of the day: Class earned four stars for good behavior during art class, which means a prize next time they meet.
Worst part of the day: Not getting to go to Seth's house to play.
Act of service: Helping Tyler build a crane with Legos.

Tyler
Best part of the day: Dinner (chicken bakes from Costco - his favorite).
Worst part of the day: Falling off the bars during recess.
Act of service: ?

Gavin
Best part of the day: Jumping on the indoor trampoline at Savannah's house.
Worst part of the day: Having time-out in his room.
Act of service: Playing nicely with Lexi.

Lexi
Best part of the day: Playing with kids at playgroup.
Worst part of the day: Working on two eye teeth.
Act of service: Making everyone laugh at dinner.

Heidi
Best part of the day: Chatting with friends at playgroup.
Worst part of the day: A fender bender in the Goodwill parking lot. (Everyone is fine.)
Act of service: Making Halloween costumes.

Garry
Best part of the day: All but two pieces of a report at work are functioning properly.
Worst part of the day: Hearing about Heidi's fender bender.
Act of service: Putting all of the kids to bed! (This happened after dinner, of course.)

...

It will probably take a while to get in the groove of our new service routine, but I am looking forward to all of the happy conversations it will spark.

5 comments:

Cumorah said...

I love it. I usually "interview" my kids at the bar during after school snack -- I need to remember the service part though. It's one of those things that has slipped away from me. And blast those tiny, smooshed, little parking lots. Glad you're all ok!

angiedunn said...

tender.

i love family dinner. it's one of my very favorite things. it's usually just me & the girls, but it still makes me sosososo happy. i might copy your tradish.

The Wizzle said...

This is such a genius idea. I have been struggling with how to help my kids understand that I do NOT want a silent dinner table, but I also do not want to be treated to ceaseless, overlapping dissertations on the moons of Jupiter, how many minutes are in an hour, or the correct pronunciation of "bivalve".

I think this strategy might hit just that middle note I am looking for!

granny said...

I really do like this!

Grandma said...

Super great idea!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share