Pages

Jun 12, 2011

Letters to angels

Dear Angel to my left at Stake Conference,

You probably didn't need to sit by me today, but I really, really needed to sit by you.  Perhaps it's best that we hadn't met before, so you didn't know what a punishment it generally is to sit by my loud, unruly bunch at church every week.  You weren't aware of the emotional baggage I was carrying today, but you immediately eased my burden when you introduced yourself to Gavin and warmly shook his hand.  You seemed not to notice his sweatshirt, summer shorts, and cowboy boots.  Or maybe you did, and simply knew they were the remnants of a bad morning.  After all, his brothers, sisters, and I were dressed in a manner more appropriate for church.

The way you looked at Gavin brought tears to my eyes.  You were an immediate friend, and he knew it.  He was safe with you.  You put your arm around him, showed him your notebook of paper, and immediately started folding the pages into play things for him.  He was so quiet and absorbed and delighted with your work that it was OK for me to stand in the back with my screaming daughter.  I knew my older boys would be fine because you were there.

At the end of the meeting, when I slid over to thank you for the unbelievable miracle you had been in my life, you seemed surprised.  You actually apologized to me for being such a distraction.  You will never know the depth of my gratitude.  We almost didn't go to Stake Conference today.  I really didn't think we could handle it without our daddy.  Thank you so much for turning something hard into an opportunity for me to see my blessings.

I'll never forget you.

Love,

Gavin's mom

...

Dear Angel in front of me at Stake Conference,

You were the other half of my miracle today.  Maybe you heard my muttered apology for the mayhem ahead as my family sat down before the meeting began.  Maybe you didn't.  I certainly misjudged you and your  beautiful red wool suit, high heels, perfect hair, and quiet children.  When I was standing in the back of the gym with my screaming daughter for the third time, you quietly approached with a sticker book.  You asked if you could entertain Lexi for a while.  She immediately stopped her tantrum and followed you back to our chairs.

For the next 90 minutes you gave Lexi free reign of the fanciest sticker book I have ever seen.  She was completely delighted to cover page after page after page with those beautiful stickers.  When Gavin wanted to join the party, you willingly obliged, pulling up a separate chair and giving him his own pages.  The quiet, happy activity was a wonder to behold.  I couldn't believe what was happening.

While I was gathering our things at the end of the meeting, you quietly slipped out to your car.  When I realized you were gone I ran to find you.  You were pretty surprised to see me outside your car window, but I just had to thank you, in some small, awkward way, for your service.  Since you live in Utah we will probably never see each other again, but I hope that you are blessed for the way you helped me today.

Love,

Lexi's mom

14 comments:

Adrianna said...

This made me cry. I love nice people and I'm so glad you got help today!

Chalene said...

I'm so excited this happened in your (my old) stake... I wish I had had those people around me a couple years ago when I was at stake conference by myself with 3 kids and someone in front of me turned around and asked me to keep it down! I have decided that day was just to teach me, to realize that I will keep going to church despite the mayhem, and that I alone have control over how I react to such things. Maybe next time, since I think I learned that lesson, I will have the blessings of the angels!

Reynolds Family said...

I loved that...and I love that there are such good people in the world!

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing that, Heidi! I really needed it! I'm just having a pity party today and feeling pretty sorry for myself. Your post reminded me that the best way to feel happy is to stop looking inward at our own problems, and instead look out and help those around us in need. Even when that need seems small to us, it can be huge in the eyes of those we serve!

Jill said...

Not one but two angels! That is a miracle indeed. I have desperately needed my own angels on occasion abd it seems Heavenly Father never fails us when we are really in need. Love this post! Thank you.

Grandma said...

I'm so glad that you had angels to help you today. I know that Garry was concerned and hoped that things would go well for you. Thanks for sharing him this weekend. Even though the circumstances for his visit was sad, it was great having him here. We all really enjoyed being able to visit lots of family and friends again. It was hard and it was great.

Johnson Family said...

wonderful letters of thanks. I wish those two folks could read them and see how wonderful they were for you.
Also, I am in the same boat as you are with Gavin. Will tested into a "developmental preschool" this past year due to his lack of fine motor skills and other stuff that seems very similar to Gavin. This coming year he will be in an "integrated" kindergarten and then he will go to kindergarten the next year just to make sure he has a grasp on it all.
You can look into getting him tested for preschool if the public schools there have that program.
Good luck
Christa

Emmy Z. said...

I love hearing about people who go out of their way to help others. It's a great reminder for me, and I'm glad you received the benefit of their kindness. You deserve it!

Adri said...

More proof that the Lord knows us each, individually. He certainly sent you exactly what you needed today. I'm so, so grateful!

Shaina said...

Stake conference is a tough one. I'm so glad that you were able to have angels surrounding you.

granny said...

I think I am going to go buy some sticker books. Makes we want to BE that angel sometime. So glad that worked out so nicely for you.

maynardmoments said...

Thank goodness for nice people! Glad things worked out.

angiedunn said...

that made me cry! people can be so good. ♥

Colleen said...

Awesome. Simple miracles make all the difference.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share