Pages

Jun 25, 2011

OT

Gavin attended his first Occupational Therapy session yesterday.  He was thrilled to go since he had so much fun at his evaluation in April.  Because the therapist who evaluated him had a full schedule, Gavin will meet with a different lady on Fridays.  After 75 minutes with Dana yesterday, I am quite content with this arrangement.  She seems terrific, and she and Gavin connected well.

I felt a little awkward doing my usual photo documentation routine on the first visit, so I just observed and took notes.  The whole therapy process was quite fascinating, and although I don't understand all of the details that will roll out over the next few months, I am confident that OT is going to provide important skills for both Gavin and me.

Gavin's first session was all about assessing his physical strength and response to gross motor activities.  He had a fabulous time playing in the ball pit, walking on his hands like a wheelbarrow, swinging from a (low) trapeze and falling onto a crash pad, and riding and spinning on a platform swing.  He was SO happy!  Watching Dana work with him gave me ideas for activities at home, and Dana also instructed me on ways to help meet Gavin's sensory needs with joint compression and heavy pressure.

Near the end of the session, Gavin's impulsive nature took over and he jumped into the ball pit without asking.  Dana reminded him that there was only one rule in her gym, and she prodded him to articulate it.  The rule: ask before using the equipment.  Gavin knew the rule, and he knew he had broken it, but his response was unlike anything I had seen him do before.  Instead of screaming or throwing a fit, he was completely silent.  He hung his head and leaned against the wall.  After five minutes of encouragement, Gavin finally followed Dana to a mat on the floor, but he still wouldn't speak.  She talked to him and did gentle joint compressions on all of his limbs and hips and head.  He was so calm, but clearly felt badly about breaking the rule.  Gavin didn't get to do any more fun activities during the session (time was up), but I think that experience made a lasting impression!

I have a thick packet of reading material to study before our next session, and I'm also hoping to find some books to read that will help me better understand Gavin's needs.  We only have 19 insurance-covered therapy sessions (and without insurance they are $350 each!), so I want to ask as many questions as I can while I have face time with a therapist.  And, to be realistic, I'd better study up while Baby Girl is happy and quiet.  This should be quite a journey for all of us.

7 comments:

O'Loughlin Family said...

We have learned so much from our OT sessions. The deep pressure and joint compressions get us out the door most days. Nathan calms down immediately when we start doing them. Ask her about yoga tapes that he can do at home. It calms Nathan as well.

I hope you dont get the feeling that I am comparing Gavin to autistic children, but the sensory issues are similar.

linda said...

My oldest son Tobi has autism and sensory intergration disorder. The Out of Sync Child and The Out of Sync Child has Fun are 2 great books. Tobi attends therapy once a week at the hospital and they have given us some great suggestions on ways to help Tobi at home.. Feel free to email me at georgiadawgs662003@yahoo.com. Tobi is 8 and we have been dealing with this for the past 6 years.

linda

Rob and Marseille said...

yay! I"m glad it's working out!!

Melanie said...

Any chance that insurance will decide to cover more OT? I'm so glad you had the parting of the Red Sea so that Gavin (and all of you!) has this opportunity. Funny how in parenting we continue to have opportunities to become experts in things we would never have chosen!

Colleen said...

It sounds like it's going to be a wonderful experience for you and for Gavin. What a gift!

The Wizzle said...

Oh, that sounds like it will be so helpful! I'll cross my fingers that, if you can't finagle more sessions, you can at least learn some good skills in the meantime. That ball pit, trapeze, and gymnastics sounds like Gavin heaven!

Grandma said...

I'm so glad you have this opportunity. I'm sure it will help. Go Gavin!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share