Pages

Jun 12, 2011

We've got spirit, yes we do!

There's a certain special little boy at my house who demands nearly all of my time, attention, and energy.  I often wonder why he is the middle child instead of an only child. He could certainly use a mother whose resources aren't divided like mine are, and whose every waking moment could be devoted to his welfare and comfort.  But for some reason he came to me, to this family, and though I love him fiercely, we are in yet another end-of-the-end-of-the-end-of-the-rope stage that leaves me exhausted by 9:00 a.m. (which, as a matter of fact, is when I am penning this post).



In April a sweet friend approached me about the possibility that Gavin has a Sensory Integration Disorder. After completing an online screening, a couple areas on the disorder spectrum leaped out at me.  I thought, "YES!!!  This is my child!"  It gave me hope that there were resources available to us, things that could help us navigate Gavin's world with more than reprimands, time-outs, and clean-up in the wake of his destruction.  Thanks to a series of tender mercies, Gavin was evaluated by an occupational therapist within a week (the day before I left for Women's Conference).

The evaluation itself was fascinating.  It was remarkable to begin seeing him as a therapist would see him.  I was astonished at how long he could focus on a task like cutting with scissors, building with blocks, and threading beads.  I was also surprised at the things he couldn't do, like copy a cross on a piece of paper.  And, of course, there was a hefty dose of the familiar: the constant motion, the loud voice, the jumping out of his chair, the refusal to wear shoes.  At the end of the evaluation, the therapist said, "Gavin is a wonderful, fascinating child!  I would love the chance to work with him."  She categorized him as "very high-functioning with widely scattered skills. He does NOT have ADHD." We talked about "tools and coping strategies" for managing his behavior, addressing his sensory needs, and advocating for him within the school system, which all sounded fantastic.  The next step was getting insurance approval for therapy.

We have been in limbo for six weeks, but this week a letter came in the mail, explaining that occupational therapy coverage was denied.  Because Gavin's issues are not the result of a congenital disorder or defect and the goals submitted do not address basic life functions like eating and sleeping, our policy specifically excludes them.  I am working with my pediatrician, who is a wonderful advocate, on an appeal.  The process could take months, and I've been warned that our insurance company very rarely overturns a coverage denial.  I haven't completely given up hope on that, but the news is discouraging, to say the least.

Last night, at the end of a Very Long Day, I hired a babysitter so I could take some time off.  Garry is out of town for a family funeral, so I left the house by myself.  I intended to run some errands, to do some things that absolutely cannot be done with my children in tow, but instead I ended up at Panera, where I bought myself a salad, sat in a corner booth, and read a book for an hour.  My book of choice: Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka.  This was my parenting how-to manual when Zachary was three.  I read it twice at that stage, and again when Tyler was three.  But now that I have four spirited children (with a fifth surely to follow), this book is even more wonderful.  I devoured the first 40 pages while I ate, marking initials in the margins next to the paragraphs that applied to each family member (including me!).  I laughed out loud.  It has been a long, long time since I have felt so validated about the struggles in our family's daily existence.  Perhaps we aren't alone after all!  And perhaps there is hope.

After my solo dinner, I attended the adult session of stake conference.  It was a nice meeting, though too long and too warm for my taste.  (I laughed when I saw a man in a row ahead of me wrap his wife in his suit coat.  My internal thermostat is probably 30 degrees higher than that lady's!)  I felt refreshed after a few hours away from my life.

Then I got home.

At 9:15, I could hear Gavin's voice floating up the stairs.  He was arguing with Tyler.  I couldn't believe it.  Bed time for the Littles is 7:00.  I told the babysitter that the big boys had to have lights out at 8:00.  I realize that bed time is not a perfect system with a babysitter in charge, but I was most seriously displeased to come home to chaos.  Gavin didn't wind down for more than an hour and spent the night in my bed.

This morning (which began at 6:00 a.m.) I found a sink full of soaking wet bath mats marinating in the bathroom.  Gavin did that...just because.  He has put clothing in the toilet and thrown it at his brothers.  He has broken his birthday trampoline, terrorized his sister, punched me, and in general been totally out of control.  What's a mother to do?

I really don't have an answer to that question, except for "go to stake conference."  It should be a party with Garry out of town.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Perhaps the appeal to insurance should include Gavin spending a day or two in the cubicle of whomever denied the claim... ;) Miracles can happen when the Lord is involved. I'll pray for the best outcome with the insurance company!

Lisa said...

Hi Heidi. I can't remember if I've commented here before, so let me introduce myself. My name is Lisa. I went to high school with Garry. I've been reading your blog for a while and I'm not quite sure how I found it, but I really enjoy it. I have 2 very "spirited" boys. They are a handful and definitely keep me on my toes. After reading your post on Gavin, I was wondering if you have checked with your school district or your state's early childhood intervention services. I contacted the elementary school and told them my situation with my sons. They referred me to the early childhood here in NV and my sons were tested by the school psychologist and found to qualify for the early childhood preschool program. It has made such a difference! My youngest (3) is seeing a speech therapist and an occupational therapist for developmental delays. My oldest (4)was seeing an occupational therapist for his sensory "issues." He has made progress by leaps and bounds this year and will be put in a "regular" kindergarten class next year. It may not be the answer for you, but if your insurance doesn't cover a private OT, it might be worth looking into. Hope it all works out! Thanks for all the laughs and tears (your last post about the angels particulary brought me to tears, for I have been blessed with such angels)
Lisa (Garry will remember me as Brown)Lacy

Emmy Z. said...

Ah yes, insurance companies. There's almost nothing I hate more than dealing with insurance. For something that's supposed to "protect" you when things go wrong, it seems that all too often it works more like a product warranty - it doesn't cover the things you really need! Good luck with your impending battle!! Adam and I both loved Gavin's fun personality when we visited last year. He's a fantastic little boy.

linda said...

I will be praying that the insurance company will have a change of heart and approve the OT. I am the mom of 2 boys. One has ADHD, SID, and high functioning autism and my other son was just diagnosed with ADHD. I know how stressful the days can be, and how important therapies are. Sending you hugs from Fort Collins

Linda

Alissa Maxwell said...

Can I second the suggestion to check with your school district? Many states require schools to provide early childhood intervention - much less expensive to help kids get on track when they are preschool aged than wait for Kindergarten or later. (it often falls under the "Special Education" category, though interventions can cover developmental, behavioral, speech, etc.

We had friends (we're in Oregon) who were surprised to find out that their 4-year old son could get one-on-one help with "impulse control" even though he has no other specific diagnosis. He sounds quite a lot like Gavin.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share