Pages

Jun 30, 2008

The Twenty Year Tag

I've been tagged by Clodhopper.

20 years ago I:
1. Was nine years old.
2. Lived in American Fork, Utah.
3. Was enjoying summer break after fourth grade.
4. Met my neighbor's niece who was visiting for the summer (we still keep in touch).
5. Was going through a really ornery phase.
6. Had piano lessons at 5:30 a.m. on Tuesdays.
7. Discovered the joy of recreational reading.

10 years ago I:
1. Was 19 years old.
2. Had been married for three weeks to the love of my life!
3. Returned from our honeymoon to live in Logandale, NV for the summer.
4. Was unemployed.
5. Looked forward to returning to BYU for my junior year.
6. Was four days away from crashing a riding lawnmower into a ditch.
7. Started scrapbooking.


5 years ago I:
1. Was 24 years old.
2. Lived in Beaverton, OR.
3. Was mother to 20-month-old Zachary.
4. Had just completed the Newport Marathon.
5. Found out I was pregnant with Tyler during the above (a big "aha!" moment).
6. Was serving as a counselor in the Primary presidency.
7. Really wished our house had air conditioning.

3 years ago I:
1. Was 26 years old.
2. Lived in Beaverton, OR.
3. Spent a day at girls' camp as a Young Women leader.
4. Started a memorable two-week trip to Utah.
5. Put Garry on a plane for a conference in Washington, DC.
6. Endured a phase of life chock-full of little-boy messes and tantrums.
7. Was forming what became my deepest Beaverton friendships.


So far this year I:
1. Had my "last" birthday.
2. Have watched my baby double his body weight.
3. Endured having a house on the market.
4. Sold a house.
5. Bought a house.
6. Ran a half marathon.
7. Said some hard good-byes.
8. Moved to a new state.
9. Made some new friends.
10. Celebrated my tenth wedding anniversary.

Yesterday I:
1. Started my new pianist calling at church.
2. Got a nap.
3. Went for a lovely after-dinner walk with the family.
4. Read the July
Ensign cover-to-cover.
5. Found out our ward's youth might come over and make our yard a service project.
6. Fell asleep in bed rather than on the couch.

Today I will:
1. Finally start running again (check).
2. Add photos to this (check).
3. Celebrate Gavin's seven-month birthday.
4. Take the boys to swimming lessons.
5. Install baby gates.
6. Reinstate scripture study with the boys.
7. Hold Family Home Evening.
8. Possibly start putting brick around the front planter bed.

Tomorrow I will:
1. Take the boys to swimming lessons.
2. That's as much as I know.

In the next year I will:
1. Become comfortable in my new surroundings.
2. Celebrate Gavin's first birthday.
3. Enjoy being home alone with Gavin three mornings a week.
4. Turn thirty.
5. Appreciate the driveable distance between our house and the grandparents' homes.
6. Hopefully visit Beaverton.
7. Return to my pre-Zachary weight (am I shallow or what?).
8. Have adventures I can't imagine!

I tag: Yellow Watermelon, Yin, Jenny in Highland, April in Mesa, Kari in Beaverton, Dr. T, and Nature Nat.

12 comments:

granny said...

That was fast...and fun. Thx.

Kari said...

Ooo! Cool, my first official tag! Thanks.

Miss you guys and so glad that we get this fun way to keep in touch.

The Wizzle said...

This was a good one! I know an Odyssey would rock my world, but...well, there's a whole list of reasons we're considering this other car and I won't bore you with them here. Maybe I'll email you and get your thoughts, though. I feel like I'm chasing my tail trying to come to a decision.

And I refuse to listen to your totally rational thoughts on wood floors! La la la la, they would solve all my problems and magically make my house feel 1000 square feet bigger. There, that's better.

Anonymous said...

Heidi! I got my Ensign today in the mall...and ta dah! I feel so cool because I can say that I know who wrote that awesome article! Sounds like life in Colorado is great! love, Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Okay! Now I feel really cool that you mentioned me in the 20 year part! Just goes to show that true friendships can last forever! remember our saying we used to say to each other: "we are sooo OLD!" Now I can really say it and it means something! Love you!

kendra said...

You have been busy!! Yard work and a new calling! I must say that a calling might be nice but I think I'm dodging the bullet here in Utah. I loved your article. It made me tear up. It's just amazing how those "intuitions" are sometimes a little more. Your blog is so cute and I really learned a lot about you! My blog address is www.perigopartyoffive.blogspot.com I'm glad we are getting to be friends. Kendra

kendra said...

P.S. I think Zachery and Tyler look like the boys in your family picture. A LOT!

Kate said...

I heart that you added pictures.

Emily K Jacob A said...

Hey Heidi,
This is Rachel's sister Emily. My husband and I read your article in the Ensign for FHE last night. That was such a cool story! Congrats on your publishing. :)

rachbechep said...

heidi! i love the pictures!! look how cute the dixon fam was way back when....okay, the dixon fam is still cute...but you know what i mean. i hope your new life is treating you well!

Yin said...

Done. Ours are very similar in a few places! Congrats on your article - it was great.

Mark Dixon said...

Thanks for the memories!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share