Pages

Oct 3, 2009

Posts by the children: Zachary

Editor's note: This is the third in a series of posts by our children. Zachary takes a turn today. My questions are in regular type; Zach's responses are italicized.

Tell me about your big school assignment this week.
Um, I had a book share and I had to tell the teacher all these things about what I read and I had to do a summary and she asked me a bunch of questions.


What did you read for the book share?
I read "Sharks" by Sally Morgan. On the back it says, "Sharks are some of the most fascinating and deadly creatures. They can grow bigger than a bus, can smell their prey, and have rough skin to protect them -- just like a suit of armor!"

I am going to ask you some questions about your reading. Why did you choose to read this book? Because sharks are my favorite animal and I just want to learn more about sharks. Because sharks are a really fascinating creature.

What were some of the most important facts you learned? That sharks don't usually attack humans. They only attack humans because when they get disturbed or they get too close to them or they're being mean. Sharks go through more than 30,000 teeth in a lifetime. After a great white shark eats a meal that weighs 65 pounds, the great white shark will not have to eat for 45 days.

Would you recommend this book to a friend? Yes, I would, because most of my friends like sharks and they might want to learn about sharks. This is one of the best books that I've read.

Where could a reader go for more information?
A reader could go online and Google-search "sharks." Or they could go to an aquarium. They could go scuba diving. And they could also go to a library and look for more books about sharks.


Tell me about the poster you made for the book share. I brought this poster to show everybody and they liked it. The main thing is a tiger shark is attacking this bird, and then he's going to attack fish. The tiger shark has brown, rotted teeth because he doesn't brush. Gavin [a boy in class] asked me what the lifeguard is saying. He is saying, "This area is prone to shark attacks." There is a beach, and a crab trying to get up this mountain. The sun is shining, and this bird lost a feather because the shark attacked it. There's two purple fish and one yellow fish. I was going to make Nemo but I couldn't find an orange crayon.

Thanks for sharing, Zach! You're welcome!

5 comments:

girlygirl said...

Cute Heidi! Thanks for sharing! Also, this gives me some ideas for a lesson--thanks!

Grandma said...

Zachary is pretty smart. Tell him I'm proud of him for knowing so much about sharks and telling us so much detail about it. He's a great student.

The Wizzle said...

Sharks are, indeed, fascinating creatures! He's a smart cookie.

Colleen said...

Neat posts, Heidi! These will sure be treasures in the years to come!

granny said...

32,000 teeth. That is a lot of teething. Ugh.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share