Pages

Sep 29, 2010

We buy in bulk

At 2:55 p.m., I read an email about this week's grocery specials in my area. One item caught my eye. Albertson's leanest ground beef was on sale for $1.97 a pound, which is about 50% off. The sale started today. I had to have some beef.

So with just thirty minutes before I had to pick up Zach and Tyler from school, the Littles and I ran to the grocery store. I really dread running errands because Gavin and Lexi are totally crazy in a shopping cart and extremely ornery if I strap them in a stroller. But I thought this errand was manageable because I only needed a few things besides beef. We'd be quick.



We spent 10 minutes in the store. I was sweating in the check-out line. Gavin and Lexi behaved just as expected and we were the spectacle of the supermarket. But as I loaded our items onto the little conveyer belt, I had to chuckle to myself.





We buy in bulk.

I bought 22 pounds of 97% lean ground beef. I bought 20 cups of Yoplait yogurt (each at 35 cents, which is a
great deal!). I bought 9 jars of Taco Bell hot sauce. And I bought bananas, because I buy bananas at any store I enter that sells bananas. We eat a lot of bananas. And beef. And yogurt. And hot sauce.

I guess we are a big family...with a big appetite!

5 comments:

angiedunn said...

that is a good deal on beef! worth taking kids for!

The Wizzle said...

Ha. I know how you feel! My family has, to my surprise and bemusement, grown to such a size (and appetite) that buying things at Costco makes good sense. Yes, even 3 pounds of sour cream. And a half gallon of mayonnaise.

And I also buy bananas everywhere I go. What is it about those bananas?

Enjoy your beef!

Emmy Z. said...

Oh how I wish I could do the same. Unfortunately, we have a small freezer and no deep freeze to stock up on such items. Good goin' on catching those deals!

granny said...

Way to shop the sales, oh brave one. My hat is off to you!

Rebecca said...

I tend to buy meat wholesale too but the first time I did it, I just bunged it in the freezer, without separating it. Felt like such an idiot when I only needed a little bit of it at a time! Mostly, it's just pet food, kitchen roll and toilet paper. Pet food never lasts long, thanks to two cats and a dog that never stop eating and I just bung the kitchen roll and toilet paper up in the loft until I need it. (The majority of the loft is taken up by Christmas decorations, so I still have to watch how much I buy!) I used to buy shampoo and conditioner wholesale too but I've stopped that, as I like to switch brands quite a bit.

I don't have a CostCo near me unfortunately. Does it work in the same as Makro does, meaning that you have to be authorised to buy on behalf of a business to get a card? I visited friends in the US recently and they seem to do a lot of their shopping at CostCo but none of them owns a business.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share