Pages

Sep 19, 2010

Rescued

Friday turned out to be a pivotal point in my illness. I didn't feel any better, but people started hearing that I was (and had been) dreadfully ill. The sudden offers of food and childcare allowed me to sleep all afternoon and evening. The P.A. I saw Wednesday finally prescribed an antibiotic. Garry came home at dinner time. All good things.

Then, on Saturday, Garry took over for the entire day. While I slept in, he fed and bathed the kids. He took them to Home Depot and the grocery store. He took everyone (but me) to Zach's football game and out to lunch. He brought home dinner and flowers. He cleaned up. Being the Mom, I am intimately acquainted with the effort required to keep our four kids out of the house (or quiet in the house) all day long. It's a Herculean task.


I spent the entire day in bed. I wasn't always asleep, but I really rested in the peace and quiet. It was absolutely glorious.

And today, for the first time in 12 days, healing is taking place. I have a voice! I'm not quite so congested. My head doesn't feel like it's going to explode, and I'm hardly coughing at all.

People say that laughter is the best medicine. For me, it is sleep. And service.

I'm a lucky girl.

10 comments:

Colleen said...

So glad there's been a turn around! And to have Daddy home to take over is balm for the ill. I am glad you are being cared for!

angiedunn said...

what a saint.

The Wizzle said...

Boy, I am sure glad to hear you are on the mend. Being a sick mom is about as hard as it gets.

kendra said...

I hope you get over this cruddy stuff fast - glad your starting to feel better. Gary is a good daddy. Flowers and everything. What a guy!

Your little Lexi is adorable too. And Gavin... oh I wish I was there to commiserate with you. We call Isaac the Gremlin - cute and cuddly and then when you least expect it he's a little monster. Must be the third boy in a row, trying to keep up with the big boys but not ready to let go of babyhood. I think I cry once a week because I'm just not sure what to do with him or which one of us will live longer.

I'm sure we'll all get through this, right?!

The Cushing Family said...

Ya know moms just can't get sick. We don't have time to recover like dads do. I swear when Bryce gets even a tiny cold, he is in bed begging for sympathy. :) I'm glad you're doing a little bit better. I can't imagine what your last few weeks have been like!!!
On another thought...I cannot even begin to tell you how much we truly truly miss Tyler. What I wouldn't give to have him here for Carter right now!!!

Vicki said...

I'm glad you're getting better! Garry is awesome!

Grandma said...

So glad you're on the mend. Rest is so important in getting better. What a fabulous husband you have! Garry is so thoughtful and caring. You're a lucky girl indeed!

granny said...

I am so relieved that you are turning the corner. Thank you Garry and neighbors for making the difference!

Emmy Z. said...

I'm so glad you were able to get a break! Garry is a champion - I bet he was tired on Saturday night.

Melanie said...

You've had such a yucky bug! Really packed a punch. Being far away, I'm so grateful for everyone who helped you!! And three cheers to your good husband!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share