Pages

Sep 27, 2010

Gospel insights

I am in the midst of preparing my next Relief Society lesson. While on the hunt for a specific quote, I have come across some fantastic messages. Here are a few gems I'd like to remember:

"There is a lie -- a vicious lie -- circulating among Latter-day Saints and taking its toll among the young. And that is that a 'balanced man' is one that deliberately guards against becoming too righteous." [
Carlos E. Asay]

"If you judge people, you have no time to love." [Thomas S. Monson]


"It is better to prepare and prevent than to repair and repent." [John Bytheway]


"The men and women who desire to obtain seats in the celestial kkindgdom will find that they must do battle every day...Thus let every Latter-day Saint protect and guard his little [garden] against every effort of the enermy to assail, and secure a foothold therein. Let us see to it that we are ready for the enemy, to battle him at every point, contending bravely aginst him until he is repulsed." [Brigham Young]


"We promote the process of strengthening our faith by doing what is right -- increased faith always follows." [L. Whitney Clayton ]


And then this amazing talk by John Bytheway from the 2008 Campus Education Week at BYU: "Weed Your Spirit, Grown Your Testimony." It's a long one, but worth every minute of listening! I took tons of notes. Maybe I just love the gardening analogy.


Are you looking for a way to talk to your kids about keeping gospel standards? This talk is incredibly informative and inspirational, yet fun and entertaining.


I have a new favorite blog:
Mamas Who Know. It's full of inspiration for mothers trying to raise their children in the gospel. I absolutely love it, even though I've never met the author. Someday, maybe! :) Recent posts have included lots of links for activities to keep kids occupied during General Conference. Check it out!


While I was listening and browsing and perusing (during nap time), I was also making strawberry jam. It's the most satisfying afternoon I've enjoyed in a long time!





7 comments:

granny said...

I will listen to that talk. It sound amazing. You got a lot accomplished on a lot of levels. Go you.

Karie said...

I'm going to have to look over the lesson again and see where I can apply those quotes that I'm going to steal from you!

angiedunn said...

oh, my, gosh. so inspiring. i love good quotes from the general authorities & super wise people.

i soooo wish i was in your relief society. what lucky ladies to have your articulate, amazing self for a teacher.

i am about to clean my house & was planning on listening to pandora, but i think i'll hit up that john bytheway action instead.

and, before i do that, i'm going to add {mamma's who know} to my google reader. looks awesome.com.

thanks sis!

The Wizzle said...

That is a great afternoon! I am so checking out the Conference ideas on that blog.

Jeff and Lori said...

Ooh, thanks for the links. I love listening to talks while I do mindless chores. I love the quote "If you judge someone, you don't have time to love them". But I think Pres. Monson was quoting Mother Teresa. At least that's what I wrote in my notes :)

Erin@mamaswhoknow said...

Thanks Heidi for your shout out. You're sweet! Can't believe you're browsing blogs and making jam at the same time...kind of a super woman!

Grandma said...

Thanks for the suggestions! The jam looks delicious too.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share