Pages

Sep 29, 2010

Part monkey?

This morning we went to playgroup at the park. The outing wasn't originally on my agenda, but Gavin was driving me bonkers. I knew he needed to run. So off we went.

Gavin didn't spend as much time running as he did climbing. As I hovered nearby (hoping to break a fall, should he lose his balance), I was struck by how limber and dextrous he was. He never wavered, never lost his grip, never seemed unsure about his next move. He had absolutely no fear as he shimmied up to the highest places. I couldn't believe the ease with which he maneuvered his little body. He was fast, but he was careful. Perhaps I was naive, but he seemed pretty safe way up there. That's when I got out the camera (phone).














Judging from those happy grins, you'd never know this kid spent half his day in time-out for raiding the pantry, escaping the house, hurting other people, or yelling, "I HATE...[the car/the shopping cart/his booster/his mother/this house, etc]!!!!"

You'd also never guess that this kid is a super star in the potty training department. I introduced the idea pretty casually on Monday. He jumped on board whole-heartedly. He has only had two accidents since Monday morning, and one of them was during a nap (he refused a diaper). He has been on several long-ish outings, used potties in public places, and had incredible success at home. I am totally impressed!

I am also very, very glad he is asleep.

8 comments:

The Wizzle said...

What a kid! Look at him go! It really is amazing. He has to be at least part monkey, if not entirely monkey.

And I am SO thrilled on your account for the potty training success! Oh, I hope it goes as easily with Iris. I am r.e.a.d.y.

Reynolds Family said...

I love how blue the sky is! That is the thing I missed the most when we were in Ohio. Blue skies. That and the mountains. Those were at the top of "must have" list when looking for a place to live. Oh, and my most difficult child was also my best potty trainer. Go figure.

Colleen said...

First of all, CONGRATS on the great potty training success! When they're ready, they sure are ready! And yes, that boy sure does have some skills I think even monkeys would envy. :) Glad he drove you out of the house to playgroup. It's always fun to hang out with you.

granny said...

Um, he is kind of giving me a mini panic attack...

What a doll. I miss him!

I'm so impressed with his decision to be potty trained. We all knew he could do it!

Grandma said...

Way to go Gavin with the potty! I was sure when it finally happened it would be easy. He just had to be ready! I love the blue, blue skies too. Isn't Mother Nature awesome!

J*a~{s}n°a said...

I love the pics and that cute boy! And I think some gymnastics club would LOVE to have him...just a thought.. :)

angiedunn said...

a CUTE monkey!

maynardmoments said...

Hooray for the potty training! I am sure that is so nice for Gavin and for mommy. I agree with one of the other comments, he would probably do great in gymnastics, and it would get out all of his energy in a padded room!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share