Pages

Apr 3, 2010

Easter feast

This weekend brought the semi-annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My family watched the eight hours of broadcasts from the comfort of our couch.

Conference weekend is a grand tradition that includes a Sunday morning breakfast of Garry's famous crepes -- and today, lots of Easter candy. The spiritual messages, however, truly fed my soul. Here are some of the gems I want to remember:

"Peace and joy and hope are available to those who measure success properly." Julie B. Beck

"Doing one's duty does not require perfection; it requires diligence." Keith B. McMullin

"Hope and joy are not products of circumstance." Wilford W. Andersen

"Nothing in this world is as personal as nurturing."
M. Russell Ballard

"Parents and children must listen to and learn from one another. The home is the most important place to prepare the youth of today to lead the homes and church of tomorrow."
M. Russell Ballard

"There is no such thing as over-preparing to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ." Henry B. Eyring

"Spiritual warnings should lead to increasingly vigilant watching." David A. Bednar

"When leaving the scene of temptation, do not leave a forwarding address."
Jeffrey R. Holland

"The temple arms you with God's power." Jeffrey R. Holland

"I have learned that the blessings that come from obedience to the Lord's laws, while not always immediate, are always certain."
Dieter F. Uchtdorf [Priesthood session]

"With patience, it is sometimes in the waiting, not the receiving, that we grow the most."
Dieter F. Uchtdorf [Priesthood session]

"Impatience is a symptom of selfishness. It is a trait of the self-absorbed."
Dieter F. Uchtdorf [Priesthood session]

"As we emulate His perfect example, our hands can become His hands; our eyes, His eyes; and our hearts, His heart."
Dieter F. Uchtdorf

"We cannot measure the worth of another soul any more than we can measure the span of the universe. We are all VIPs to God." Dieter F. Uchtdorf

"God's eternal plan came alive when His totally worthy, perfect Son shattered the bands of death through the Atonement." Richard G. Scott

"We must remember and reverence the sacrament." Quentin L. Cook

"For youth there is no substitute for seeing gospel living in our daily lives." Robert D. Hales

"There is no greater good in the world than motherhood." James E. Faust (quoted by David Foster)

"How we react to our tests and trials determines our success." James B. Martino

"Your testimony will never leave your children." Neil L. Andersen

"We are all here because we love the Lord, and because we want to serve Him." Thomas S. Monson

.....


Celebrating Easter today made the spiritual messages from inspired church leaders even more meaningful. I am so grateful to know that Jesus Christ lives, to know that His death on the cross was not the end of His life and ministry. He is the symbol of new beginnings and fresh starts. His matchless power enables me to move forward when I feel stuck, to change when I am wrong, to improve when I am struggling. I look forward with steadfast faith to that day when my limited mortal body is resurrected and restored to its glorified state, when my dust-of-the-earth self is made perfect through His grace.

Until that day comes, I am thankful for repentance. I am thankful for forgiveness. I am thankful for the constant, steadying support of a Savior who has felt my pain and agonized over my weaknesses. I feel His strength through all of my days, my hours, my minutes.

I know He lives. I know He loves me.

My joy is full.

6 comments:

angiedunn said...

wasn't it extra fabulous this time? i share your testimony. thanks for sharing sis.

GinaJ said...

Amen and amen to that! I love you list of quotes (and am pleased that I recognized so many of them).

granny said...

we liked a lot of the same quotes. can't wait to get them on my ipod and re-listen.

Johnson Family said...

thank you for your amazing note taking! We loved some of the same quotes! What a beautiful day to have Conference and Easter.
Christa

Melanie said...

I copied printed out your selection. Thanks!! Conference was awesome!

The Wizzle said...

Elder Uchtdorf really brought the good stuff, as usual. I can always count on him!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share