Pages

Apr 22, 2010

Decaf, please

Our family doesn't "do" caffeine. I try not to get on my soapbox about it, but that's just the way it is at our house. Garry and I occasionally drink a caffeinated beverage to medicate a headache or sustain a driver on a road trip, but that's it. Usually it's not a big deal at all, but since the kids have friends with different family policies, the issue comes up once in a while.

Tonight we grabbed fast food for dinner. We had lemonades all around. As we were driving home, I overheard the following conversation going on in the back seat.

Zachary: Why can't I get root beer with caffeine? That's just dumb.

Tyler: Kids are always so energized and caffeine just makes them crazier.

Zach: But it does nothing to parents!

Tyler: Parents are always kind of sleepy. Caffeine helps them be more awake. But it makes kids extra energized!

I was laughing so hard by the time we got home. I grabbed the nearest pencil and paper and scribbled down their conversation. Zach has added "caffeine" to his list of things he wants to experience when he grows up and moves out. Also on the list: white bread, pets, and staying up all night.

7 comments:

Lisa Romer Keele said...

What a great story!We didn't "do" caffine at my house either and I always kinda wondered why. But I think Tyler had a great point!

Adrianna said...

That was a rather adult-like rebuttal on Tyler's part! What a cool kid! I was regretting my "energizing" Dr.Pepper last night at about 1:00am and again as I tossed and turned all night.

Julz said...

Just so you know, caffine does have a different effect on some people. For example, it has a calming effect on me, JD and Scott Birrell. Basicly people with ADD tendencies. I know it was even suggested by a doctor that I give a mountain dew to JD (he's ADHD and not on meds). Anyway, just thought you might want to know this in case you want to experiment with gavin someday.

steph said...

Thanks for the good laugh before I head off to bed! Tyler knows his stuff! I agree with 'Julz' also - different affects for different people. Caffeine has NEVER helped me stay awake, but if Mark has it with dinner he doesn't sleep well...

Grandma said...

How cute is that? So is Garry on this program as well?

Colleen said...

Funny! Kid reasoning is the best. Tyler is such a crack-up!

Carroll Conversations said...

That is too funny. Definitely one for the books.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share