Pages

Apr 22, 2011

Miracle

At 8:15 this evening, the house was mostly quiet.  Gavin and Lexi had been in bed for an hour; Zach and Tyler were brushing their teeth.  Garry was working on shelves in the garage, and I was scanning the boys' school work into the computer.

I heard Zach duck into the garage and Tyler head downstairs to bed.  I continued my work...scan and save, scan and save.  Suddenly I heard Gavin's strangled cry from the basement, followed by Tyler's urgent, tearful voice summoning me down the stairs.  I jumped and ran, wondering how my sleeping boy had gotten into trouble.  I expected a brotherly altercation but was met with an emergency.

Gavin was choking on a penny.  He was red in the face and crying.  Tyler was clearly panicked.  He, too, was crying.  All he could tell me was that Gavin had swallowed money.  The coin was clearly obstructing his airway.  I slapped Gavin on the back a few times and tried the Heimlich maneuver without success, so I sprinted up the stairs with him in my arms.  (How I managed this is a mystery.  I walk like I'm 80, especially up stairs.)

I'm sure we startled Garry when we burst into the garage, all crying and heaving as we were.  I accidentally shut Tyler in the house as I attempted to confine our noise to the garage.  Lexi was sleeping down the hall and somehow I felt it prudent to keep her that way.  I told Garry, "Gavin is choking on a coin.  Do something."  By the time I grabbed a sobbing Tyler by the arm and pulled him into the sawdust-filled garage, Garry had inverted Gavin, pounded on his back, and dislodged a penny, which shot to the floor in a puddle of drool.  Gavin burped and gagged and moaned but recovered immediately.

We all took a collective breath.  I sat on the garage steps and pulled Gavin and Tyler in for a hug.  Poor Tyler had been so worried for his brother!  All I could think about was that he had just saved Gavin's life.

Five minutes before I was sure Gavin was asleep.  I had no intention of going down to the basement for another hour or two.  I shudder to think how I would have found Gavin if Tyler hadn't arrived at just the right moment.  And of course I was grateful for Garry, whose calm but firm actions restored Gavin's breathing in a matter of seconds.  Our little family witnessed a miracle tonight.  We have said many prayers of thanks.


19 comments:

Emma said...

Wow - scary moment. I'm glad you are all OK. Tyler's a great big brother.

Danielle said...

so so scary!!! glad everything worked out and he's okay! hooray for tyler's quick actions!

Reynolds Family said...

So scary...I recall a scene almost identical to that with my 3 year old brother when we were in Yellowstoneand he was sucking on a hard, round candy which became longed in his windpipe. My mom sent me frantically running into the auto shop(we were having car trouble) to get my dad. He turned him upside down and wacked him and out came the candy. I was so traumatized by it that none of my children have ever been allowed to have hard candy.

Johnson Family said...

Oh my goodness!! I just have tears in my eyes as I sit here and read this entry!!! My heart just stopped the whole entry!! The Savior is watching out for your angels!!!! Even though it was such a scary moment in your family, I am so glad you shared the moment with us, so we can rejoice in your miracle!!!!!!!!
Lots of love from our hearts to yours!!!
Christa

The Wizzle said...

I totally have a huge knot in my stomach reading that. I have had only momentary experiences with my kids choking, and it is so absolutely terrifying. I'm so, SO glad everyone is okay.

Shaina said...

I have a memory of choking on a coin in a car, while on the freeway. My dad pulled over, inverted me, and pounded on my back until the coin came rushing out.

I'm so incredibly happy that everything turned out fine. Everyday is a miracle, I believe.

Grandma said...

Wow, fast thinking on everyone's part. That is so scary. We're so glad everything is OK now.

Unknown said...

Dear Gavin--No more making change! How frightening! But also a reminder that God is mindful of us and is watching over us in our needs. I'm grateful for your miracle!

Adri said...

Miracle, indeed. Hugs to your boys, and you!

Jeff and Lori said...

Oh that is a nightmare. So glad it ended quickly and well! Thinking of you!

Mark Dixon said...

Thanks, Tyler, for taking care of your little brother! Thanks, Heavenly Father, for watching over this little family in Colorado Springs!

granny said...

Wow, I'm behind the times reading this...so sorry for the scary experience. Way to go Tyler...you are a hero!

Adrianna said...

What a tear-jerker! Wow! So glad Gavin is okay- such a miracle! And what a good brother to think so quickly!

Jill said...

What a blessing that Tyler was there to get help. I'm glad there was a happy ending to this scary story. As a parent I know what a sweet experience it can be to know that the Lord is watching over your family.

rachbechep said...

um. way to go tyler! sooooo glad he was where he was when it happened... glad everything is okay! :)

angiedunn said...

that is freaky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! such a blessing. love those boys.

joeyship said...

Oh my goodness. So glad Gavin is ok. What a terrible scare. Glad Zach was where he needed to be at the right time and that Garry was able to do what was needed. Love you all.

Lisa Romer Keele said...

I'm so thankful that everything is ok!

Emmy Z. said...

I'm so glad everything's ok! Tyler gets a gold star for being such a concerned big brother.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share