Pages

Apr 28, 2009

Track star

Zachary joined a running club at his new school earlier this month. The kids only practice once a week but Zach loves it! Last night was the team's first race against other elementary school Land Sharks teams in the area. I stayed home with the younger boys because it was freezing outside and I felt icky, but I'm sad that I missed Zachary's running debut.

Zach ran the 400 meter distance (1/4 mile) with a big group of first graders (about 40, both girls and boys). He was ecstatic to win second place! Garry said that Zach was in the outside lane and didn't cut over quickly enough in the final stretch to beat the first-place finisher, but strategies like that will come with experience. Zach was excited to share his "Champion" ribbon with his class today since he is the Star of the Week. He's definitely a star in our family!



Waiting for the race to begin.


A short video of the beginning of the race. What a strong stride!

Getting guidance on where to finish.

In the finisher's chute.

8 comments:

granny said...

That got me excited. It took me back to your running days. I hope he really enjoys the experience. how neat that they have some competition even in elementary!

The Wizzle said...

How fun! I loved track and field when I was Zach's age. Looks like he's having a great time (and hopefully burning some energy!)

Colleen said...

What a fun and freezing evening it was! Zach sure seemed proud! Congrats to him!

Shanell said...

What a great looking runner. It definitely runs in the family. I didn't even plan that pun. I am very glad to not be in those pictures. I am cold just looking at them. I was posting about Camilla's birthday and I always remember you on that day. so, Happy Birthday Heidi! Are you 30 now???

maynardmoments said...

First of all, Happy Birthday.
Second of all, congrats to Zach.
Third of all, running rocks!!!!!

Carroll Conversations said...

Way to go Zachary. Not surprised with your momma's runnin' genes in you.

Happy Birthday Heidi! Hope you have a wonderful day and get feeling better!

Grandma said...

Once again we're proud of our oldest grandson. He's always been a winner in our eyes. Happy birthday too Heidi. We hope you're feeling better.

Vicki said...

OOOHH, the 400, that's a fun race. Good job!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share