Pages

Apr 9, 2009

Hard words and kind hearts

I'm usually not shy when it comes to speaking my mind, and I usually know just what I want to say. Sometimes I hold my tongue for the sake of propriety (though probably not as often as I should), and occasionally I regret not speaking up when I should have. But once in a while the right words are just too hard to say.

Today the words are: I need help.

These words aren't hard to say when I really mean things like "Share some advice," "Give me some ideas," or "I'm so pathetic I ought to be committed." But when uttering them admits that I can't handle my life, they don't come as easily.

However, with gentle encouragement from some loved ones over the last few days, I have come to realize that asking for help can be okay.

One friend offered the wisdom: "Lots of people can [do what you do], but no one else can carry this baby to term." Her comment made me delegate every speck of work related to the ward talent show tomorrow night. That was a liberating exercise. It also made me rethink my plan to get through this light-duty phase in grin-and-bear-it solitude.

Another friend counseled that it's better to ask for help now, while I can (hopefully) prevent preterm labor, than to require help later because I have a baby in the NICU.

Combined, these two ideas have softened my proud heart and helped me ask for some favors. The service is already pouring in. Garry picked up groceries on the way home from work today, helped with dinner dishes, and directed the boys in an evening clean-up effort. Someone else bought the things Tyler needs for a preschool party tomorrow. Another friend is organizing people to bring my family dinner a few nights a week and help with some household chores.

I have been touched by the general willingness to help, as expressed in emails and blog comments:

"Seriously, Heidi, whatever is needed."
"Just take it easy and remember, there's help available should you need or want it. I'm just around the corner."
"Let me know if I can help in any way!"
"I'm here for you!!! Just call."
"I am serious about coming to help clean or WHATEVER you need."
"I was serious about coming over to scour your shower."
"So when can I clean your house? I can also stock your freezer with meals."
"You know all you have to do is ask and the Relief Society will jump right in."
"As I said on the phone, leave the shower scrubbing to me!"
"If you need me to do some shopping for you or anything while you're down, please don't hesitate to ask."

While I prefer to be the able-bodied bearer of goodwill, I am certainly grateful that in this time of need I am surrounded by women who share the same ideal. I would help them through a tough spot, and they'll help me.

Which brings me to two words that are very easy to say: Thank you.

9 comments:

Reynolds Family said...

So glad you have people there willing to help out. Wish I were closer! It's very humbling to ask isn't it?

Colleen said...

We definitely are surrounded with some amazing, giving, thoughtful people we can call friends here! I definitely agree, asking for help is hard, but the sincerity in which people offer it is truly meant. I am so glad to know you are getting the help you need and baby girl will be staying put for now!

joeyship said...

Awww dear Heidi. I'm afraid we must be related. I would rather die a thousand deaths than ask anyone for help. It is just SO DARN HARD! What is it about us???? I have considered getting psychological help for this one! hahaha But your friends are right. This is a time when you MUST have help. I'm so glad you are surrounded by people who are willing. Bless their hearts. Someday you will have the chance to return the favor. I wish we lived closer so that I could be one of those friends. It won't be much longer now.....

granny said...

A big Thank You from Granny to all those who are helping. Thanks for taking care of my girls.

Grandma said...

Just remember that sometimes we need to take and other times we can give. I know you're great at giving so just think of it as a loan. I know you'll pay back later.

valabear said...

Heidi,

This is Valarie Green. HI!! I've been lurking and totally enjoy your blogging. I understand the help stuff. When I was sick it was one of the hardest things for me to cope with. You'd think baldness and lack of eyebrows would be harder to take. But when you are used to serving its hard to humble yourself and receive. I am so glad that I can take care of my family again. Who knew that doing the dishes is a blessing. :) And now I have a much better attitude about serving others too.
Take care. This too will pass. And she'll be worth it.

Emma said...

I'm glad you have lots of help. Take care of yourself.

Kristy E.B. said...

How blessed you are to have so many good friends there who are so wiling to help. Relief Society was definitely a God-designed program to bring RELIEF to all. You have definitely done your part in serving others, and now it's your turn to be served. Enjoy it!

angiedunn said...

i'm so happy that you have people to help & take care of you...'cause i would be...if i were close!

you deserve it because you touch so many people's lives, yo.

hang in there, heidi. and literally: hang in there, little baby bartle.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share