Pages

Apr 30, 2009

Operation: Emancipation

When I was assigned partial bed rest thirty days ago, I never imagined that I'd survive it. But survive I have -- baby intact, no less -- and the light at the end of the tunnel is drawing nigh. On Monday I will reach 37 weeks, when I can get out of bed and do a jig!

During the month of April I have been so grateful for the helping hands and kind hearts that have made my life easier. While every service was a blessing, I have especially enjoyed having clean bathrooms and hand-delivered, home-cooked meals. Since I can't bottle up a freshly scrubbed bathroom for safe keeping, I've decided to attempt the next thing on the list: dinners.

So I'm currently conspiring to make Monday my cooking day and fill my freezer with as many dinners as I can. I have a few ideas, some recipes, and a loose plan, but I imagine that some of you out there have more experience with such an effort than this kitchen slacker.

If you have a recipe that you know freezes well, doesn't contain sea creatures, and isn't complicated, would you please email me (heidi@thebartles.com)? I'd really appreciate it...and so would my family, who will undoubtedly grow tired of the cereal/sandwiches/burritos routine we'll fall into if I don't follow through with this plan!

Wish me good fortune with such an ambitious endeavor. With a little luck, I'll fill up my freezer, clean up the mess, and go into labor!

6 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Yay, I'm so glad you've made it! And gladder still that Baby Girl is safe and sound. I actually don't know much about freezing meals, but if I come up with anything I'll email you.

I just hope you don't go crazy with waiting if Baby Girl decides to stay comfy where she is for a while longer yet! I know more than one person who was put on bedrest and then went on to deliver at full-term. You don't usually make it that far anyway, but I guess stranger things have happened!

Danielle said...

hey heidi! i've been working on this myself. here's a blog post i found with a lot of good recipes for freezing.

http://www.momoflittles.com/2009/02/preparing-for-baby-stocking-freezer.html

I have already made the three cheese baked spaghetti, homemade pizza crust, brown bag burritos, banana crumb muffins, waffles, and a few other recipes that aren't on her list.

I don't know if you guys eat a whole 9x13 pan of food yet with all those boys but if not, line two 8x8 pans with foil, split the meal into the two pans, freeze them, and then pop them out and stick them in a gallon size bag. That way you can still use your 8x8 pan and when you're ready to cook it, just stick it right in from the freezer bag.

Wish I was there to have a cooking day with you!

Shaina said...

Heidi, half the recipes posted on my blog will freeze. If any of them sound good, I'll give you more pointers. Good luck!! The more organized you are, the better your freezer day will turn out.

maynardmoments said...

I think Shaina would be the one to ask on this one. I think Colleen knows some good meals too. I really can't be of much help, because we don't have much freezer space...yet. ;) Therefore, I don't make freezer meals at this point in time.
So glad you survived your partial bed-rest. Good thing for the relief society and a good group of friends huh!
Oh yeah, what happened with your strep and influenza tests?

angiedunn said...

i'm no help. {sorry.}

my suggestion would be to move in with mom. she'll make you & your family dinner every night! hahaha...

you are amazing. i want your planning ahead/efficiency/being prepared gene. {i obviously didn't get it...}

Sarah Jane said...

Heidi - congratulations on your birthday (sorry you were sick) and congrats on surviving bed rest!!! I know that's really difficult. Glad you made it through. I'm interested in your recipes for freezer meals. Saw the link above, but also wondering what you found most helpful, and if you can email me your recipes if you got other good suggestions.

Wishing you a good end to this pregnancy and smooth delivery!
Sarah Jane

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share