Pages

May 1, 2009

A belated birthday post

This is me on April 28, 2009, otherwise known as my 30th birthday.

Considering I felt like I'd been hit by a truck that day, it's a miracle that this snapshot exists...and another that I'm willing to publicly post it.

You see, I got the flu for my birthday. The achy-fevered-sore-throat-screaming-pain sort of flu that honestly made me question my will to live. (And made me ever-so-slightly more dramatic than usual.)

However, like so many things in the last year of my life, I survived this unpleasant experience. It wasn't Strep or Influenza or a kidney infection; according to the lab I just got a random, crippling virus during my 37th week of pregnancy. I'm so happy to be on this side of it, especially because today, while discussing lab work on the phone with my doctor, I literally got marching orders. That's right -- I can march! Bed rest is officially over. Yeehaw! I might move up my freezer meal extravaganza, just because I can.

But back to my birthday. It really was quite lovely, as were all the people who made it that way.

Lydia, a kind soul in my ward, spent most of her day at my house. She kept busy sweeping the floor, cleaning the kitchen, scrubbing bathrooms, and doing four loads of my laundry. She brought us bananas because we were out and left a stack of movies for us to watch. Seriously awesome.

Paula stopped by with a lovely bouquet of tulips. Melanie brought me a pie. I was delighted all day with emails and phone calls and Facebook notes from family and friends around the country. I opened gifts and cards from family and friends, sported adorable earrings from my sister (they complemented my sweats quite nicely), and enjoyed a yummy take-out dinner that satisfied a long-held craving for Applebee's oriental chicken salad. (Garry provided my "real" birthday dinner on Sunday, which was amazing in its own right...soupy pie notwithstanding.)

The boys spoiled me with fabulous gifts, too: a fashionable purse, spatulas for the kitchen, and a new "triple combination" of scriptures. (Garry also reminded me how delightful our new dishwasher is -- it's our present to each other and from our parents for both of our April birthdays. The joys of being homeowners!)

And then, because I didn't have any sort of communicable symptoms at the time, I went out for dessert with a wonderful group of friends. The apple crisp was delicious, of course, but I especially enjoyed just talking with the girls...even though we couldn't escape the usual subjects: pregnancy, potty training, child-rearing adventures, etc. I suppose that speaks to our stage of life and the universality of motherhood.

I'm not the sort of person to get all funky about entering a new decade of life. Although I wouldn't say I'm "thirty, flirty, and thriving," I'm very happy with my life and family and the way things have worked out for us so far. So here's to another thirty great years...and the hope that I'm not bedridden with flu or pregnancy when I turn sixty!

7 comments:

granny said...

Yeah, I'd definitely avoid pregnancy at 60. One of my bigger fears in life. :)

The Wizzle said...

Happy birthday! If I am pregnant at 60, I won't actually turn 60 because I will kill myself.

Dan and Katie said...

That would be interesting...60 and pregnant :) Sounds like you had a great day! I am a little disapointed I didn't get to bring you dinner - I like cooking for an entire family :) Its hard cooking a meal when you know you will be eating it for a minimum of 3 meals :) Hope that flu goes away quickly!

GinaJ said...

I'm so sorry you got such a rotten present for your birthday. :( And happy belated birthday to you! You are wonderful!

juliespahr said...

Happy belated birthday to you!!! I'm sad I missed it! It sounds like you have made some AMAZING friends that made it extra special for you!!! And yes, lets hope and pray that you aren't pregnant or have the flu at sixty!!!:)

Cheeri said...

Sorry these Birthday Wishes are belated and that you felt so crummy on your big day! I'm glad you had such a productive weekend though and that you're finally off bed rest. Best wishes on your little lady's upcoming arrival! You're amazing Heidi! :)

jjcrew said...

Hey Heidi!
Greetings from a very WET WET Oregon. Happy belated 30th to you. I was celebrating my 32nd on your special day. Jared's brother was in town doing a lecture in Portland on the evening of my birthday...so we had to rearrange things a bit. There's nothing like stretching out the celebration though. Can't wait to hear about your bundle of pink coming soon. Love, Jenn

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share