Pages

Mar 9, 2009

A wonderfully "Wicked" weekend

In honor of Wicked, the amazingly fabulous Broadway musical
I was privileged to see in Portland this weekend, I give you
some sentimental lyrics from "For Good,"
the closing number sung by two witches in the land of Oz:

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return

Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you....

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.


That, folks, is how I feel about my wonderful Oregon family. Being there, seeing them...it was like a lovely dream I didn't want to end. It was full of quiet, peaceful plane rides, endless talking and laughing with girlfriends, a baby shower that defied all expectations for fun and generosity, delicious food at parties and restaurants, shopping, hugging, sitting on couches, bathroom emergencies, adventures in parking, an incredibly awe-inspiring Wicked experience, blankets and burp cloths and bows (oh my!), chance meetings on street corners, "traveling trio" singing, and more pregnant bellies than I could count. I came home with a suitcase full of baby girl goodies and a heart full of love for friends and cherished memories.

My wonderful weekend hosts:
Krista (on the left, due in May) and Natalie (on the right, due in July)
with Cindi, another friend.

Carolyn, Julie, and Andrea

Melissa, Tiernan, Angie, Nancy, Jenelle (twins in May), Sandra, Tina, and Jen

Melissa, Jeannine, and Julie

Betsy and I are due about the same time!

Tiernan, Wendy, and Melissa

My mom and sister surprised me by mailing a package of goodies to Krista for the shower. My mom made the fabulous quilt and Angie made the incredible hair bows!

Julie organized all of the clothes, accessories,
and gift bags so I could pack them.

Natalie and I outside the Keller Auditorium after seeing Wicked.


My special thanks goes out to the husbands (especially mine) that sponsored this weekend of fun, to my fabulous hosts, Natalie and Krista, to the girlfriends who came to--and spoiled my sweet babe at--the baby shower, to Carolyn for buying my Wicked ticket, and for the Alaska Airlines Visa miles that made my airfare cost five bucks. I love you all. Let's do this again sometime!

2 comments:

Carroll Conversations said...

So glad you could come for a visit. Thank you Garry for being super dad and letting your sweet wife come and play for a weekend. It was very refreshing for us all to have a dose of Heidi back in our lives!

Jen said...

What a nice, relaxing trip for you Heidi. I'm glad you got a little getaway! It was a fun excuse to get together so thanks!! (o: There's something so refreshing about getting some time by yourself and remembering who you are without all the mommy responsibilities. (well minus the incubating part, but at least she's quiet for now.) It was so great to see you in person! (o: I love staying connected...

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share