Pages

Mar 25, 2009

Broken

My body is conspiring against me.

In spite of the miracle that is a baby girl inside me (I can't quite bring myself to blame the madness on her), my organs and ligaments and fluids are waging wars against each other that leave me feel lousy around the clock. I have turned into a whiny hypochondriac, wondering if every ailment is a sign of preterm labor or some other serious complication. There are too many discomforts for me to deal with in a rational manner, and while I could recite them all for you here, I'm feeling pretty guilty about letting such garbage cloud my vision of the greater good.

Today, however, I received a little validation from the OB I have grown to detest (medical provider dissatisfaction is an entirely separate issue). Turns out I have "probable cholecystitis," or issues with my gallbladder. The short-term fix is a fat-free diet. Um, hello. Is that really possible for someone of my personality and gestational state? I'll have a gallbladder scan in the next day or two that will determine a longer-term course of treatment. I hope ice cream can be part of my life again sometime in the future. And I really don't want to have surgery, now or ever. Despite my symptoms, this better be a false alarm.

I also have probable preeclampsia. Lovely. My blood pressure jumped today and apparently my kidneys excreted protein today. I get to provide a 24-hour specimen for the lab to officially diagnose this condition. If I do have it, the only fix is childbirth. As ready as I am to be done, Baby Girl would be a lot better off if she got to grow inside for several more weeks. An interim "band-aid" for the problem: bedrest. Is bedrest really possible for someone of my personality and family make-up? We'll cross that bridge if we can't avoid it, I guess. Let's hope that this potential diagnosis is also a false alarm. It sounded near the end of my pregnancy with Gavin, all for nothing.

I also have a UTI. This is probably too much information for my more sensitive readers, but I thought the news was the perfect icing on the cake today. A malfunctioning organ, a systemic disorder, and an infection. Sounds yummy to me.

On the up side, Baby Girl has a strong heart beat and is measuring normally. She is very wiggly, which never ceases to amaze and delight me, even when I'm as ornery as I am today.

And sitting in my kitchen is a brand-new dishwasher. It's not what I wanted for my birthday (which isn't for a month), but I know I'm going to love it anyway. Broken dishwashers don't clean the dishes, and neither does this pregnant mommy.

15 comments:

Reynolds Family said...

Oh Heidi,
I feel your pain. As much as I love my children, pregnancy is no picnic-even a nice, problem free one, but add issues to it and you're doubly miserable. So sorry! The end is near.

Emma said...

So sorry. That's a lot to deal with. My sister had gallbladder problems with her latest pregnancy, not fun. 61 (or so) days to go!

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear. Hope things go better soon. Let us know if you need anything.

Shaina said...

Keep us informed! I'll do whatever is needed to help you if you go on bedrest...but eating fat free? Is that possible?

The Wizzle said...

Email for you. Holy cow, what a day!

Amanda said...

Heidi--I am SO sorry about all of that! I can totally identify with the fat-free diet stuff. I go high-risk at about 26 weeks with Cholestasis, which is gall bladder/liver related. (On that note, if you start having severe itching, especially on hands and feet, have them do blood tests for bile salts.) To minimize my symptoms, I also have to go easy on the fats. Not to mention I also have a prolactin allergy, which means no dairy when I'm pregnant or breastfeeding. It has been absolute torture this time around! So, I can totally identify with how these pregnancy issues mean no good food for several months. It's the worst!

And, one more thing--could your UTI have affected the preeclampsia results? I mean, if things are already abnormal with the bladder--couldn't there be a possibility of a false positive? I'm totally just going out on a limb with that, but just wondered.

Keep us posted. While pregnancy really is a miracle, it can also be an incredible challenge. I hope everything turns out for the best!

Holly said...

Oh Heidi i hope you feel better soon!

Kristy E.B. said...

Your poor girl!! I'm so sorry that so many yucky things are happening to you right now! I sure hope you get feeling better soon and all of the hype is over nothing. Hang in there!

Kayla said...

Oh my...you poor thing! I will keep you in my thoughts. (In response to your comment: I got the cars at target. They are Parents brand)

maynardmoments said...

Hang in there!!!! The end is in sight. When it rains it pours sometimes. I understand the gallbladder thing. Ben is getting his ultrasounded next week. He will most likely be getting it out. Fun stuff. Glad baby girl is doing well. And the fat free diet...YIKES!!!

juliespahr said...

Wow! I vow to never complain again! You, however, have every right to complain and hardly do! You are such a trooper!!! Just keep thinking PINK!
On another note, I am incredibly intrigued by your poofy pancakes.... I think I need the recipe.... when you have a minute!:)

Lars said...

Wow! Missed a few posts and had to back-up to find the reason for medical testing. I'm sorry you are going through these discomforts, concerns, and annoyances. Wish you had a doc you felt better about also. Prayers for you!

JulSH said...

when it rains (or snows...in your case), it pours!

Looks like you've got your own personal blizzard INSIDE your body!

Gallbladder issues can be a real pain (literally!) and seem to just be a problem until they are out.

So sorry for your pain!

Jen said...

Oh joy - a UTI. That is a swear word in this house. What a pain - ha - no pun intended. And on top of all the other crappy ailments. Geesh - the things our bodies go through. Hope you're feeling better! I've started keeping an emergency cranberry juice around. Hey and don't forget to eat some fat free yogurt to keep the good old yeast infections away. That's all you need right now!! The things us girls have to deal with. (o:

Lyon Pride said...

What are these babies doing to our bodies?? I hope you feel better soon and baby gets to stay in a bitt longer!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share