Pages

Mar 6, 2009

Consider this a postcard

By the time you read this, I will be sitting quietly in the Denver International Airport with nothing but a cell phone and a good book to keep me company.

I won't be responsible for controlling the diapers, crayons, sippy cups, fruits snacks, strollers, sticky hands, unruly cowlicks, embarrassing comments, or inappropriate bodily functions of minors. A diaper bag will not be found in my vicinity.

For about 60 hours, I am giving up the roles of Behavior Police, Nursemaid, Nanny, Taxi Driver, Janitorial Engineer, Head Chef, Homework Monitor, Taskmaster, and Church Time Entertainer.

Instead of managing a toddler's afternoon nap, I might take one myself. And then my plane will land in a forest of evergreens and cloudy skies, the place a piece of my heart still calls home.

I'm heading out for a dose of the familiar, the beloved. A weekend with some fabulous girlfriends of my former home. I can hardly wait for the hugs, the conversations, the laughter, the togetherness.

Ah, the togetherness.

Together, these friends and I will party it up at this delightful event:


And this one:

I'm sure we'll also enjoy a whole lotta chitchat and giggling and catching up on the last nine months.

I'll get to sit in church, shoulder to shoulder with comrades from the not-so-distant past, the ones who have shaped so much of who I am as a grown-up. And squirmy little boys won't dictate when or why I leave the meetings.

I'm kinda thinkin' I won't want to come back.

But of course I will.

And when my plane touches down in an urban sea of blue sky, brown grass, and hibernating trees, another piece of my heart will be home.

11 comments:

Reynolds Family said...

I hope you have so much fun-boy do you deserve it!

The Wizzle said...

That sounds like absolute heaven in a box! Enjoy it, you certainly deserve it.

Colleen said...

I don't even think it needs to be said, but have a great trip!

Kari said...

I'm so excited to see you again! :)

Shaina said...

You, more than anyone else, need this break!! Have a blast!

Amanda said...

HAVE FUN!!! Of course, how couldn't you with such a wonderful weekend ahead of you? I'll look forward to hearing how it went!

juliespahr said...

Yes!!! I love these retreats!! They don't happen to often but when they do... well words can't describe. I think the best part for me is when I get home, I'm so ready to be Mom again! Have a wonderful time... you deserve it!

Lars said...

How awesome! You are one blessed and lucky woman.

I was just thinking today that it's been 6 years since we left.

Raegan said...

Give a report on Wicked. We are going in San Fransisco in May. Sounds good! Have a well deserved relaxing trip!!

Rebecca said...

So sad I wasn't able to make it to your baby shower. I had too many sick folks to take care of including one very clingy toddler. I hope you fully enjoy your weekend off duty.

Trinette McCrary said...

I'm excited for you, have a blast!! Don't miss us too much back here in Colorado.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share