Pages

Mar 3, 2009

Fun photos of the first child

Yesterday we enjoyed lovely warm weather and the conspicuous absence of wind. The result: a park play date for Tyler (thanks for the nap, Kym!) and copious outdoor playtime after school.

Zachary seemed to think it was summer; he raided the summer clothing stash at the top of his closet for a warm-weather outfit. I was in a forgiving mood, though. I figured if shorts prolonged his entertainment, I could deal with a mess in the bedroom.

Anyway, Zach has been practicing on his pogo stick and inline skates lately and both skills seem to have clicked. Yesterday he was "wow"-ing the neighborhood kids with almost 50 consecutive bounces on the pogo stick. He was so excited about the achievement! His current goal is 100 bounces in a row. We'll see how long it takes to get there.

In other exciting news, the ant farm Zachary received for his birthday (in, um, October) finally got some residents yesterday when a vial of harvester ants arrived in our mail box. Garry handled the creature transfer since the thought of doing it gave me the heebie jeebies. But of course the boys were delighted. The ant farm was quite the attraction for the pile of kids (and adults) we had over last night for Family Home Evening, and this morning the first words I heard out of Zachary's mouth were, "You've got to come see what the ants did last night!"


Since this is the closest the boys will ever come to having pets, I'm glad a few ants are so exciting.

4 comments:

m = michelle said...

ANT FARMS ROCK!

we got noah his first this year and even though 9 of the 10 ants died while waiting for us to get off our butts and down to the mailbox, it's still the most fascinating thing ever. I was just telling our daycare about this THIS MORNING. I never thought I would like it, much less totally love it. I can't wait till we get another - and maybe not kill 90% of the little buggers.

granny said...

I used to love to go down to the bumpy road as a kid and watch the ants in their huge hills. Only Wode Babe and Diazer will know what I'm talking about. :)

Grandma said...

They are lots of fun!

Lars said...

What a talented pogo stick-er! I have kids that won't ride the bikes they begged for, so this is super fun to see. But it would be pretty awesome for a boy his age either way.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share