Pages

Mar 13, 2009

Out of the best books

This morning our little family started reading the Book of Mormon together for the fourth time.


I'll admit that when we finished Moroni chapter 10 yesterday, the final verse was a little anti-climactic, with two boys slurping cereal and poking each other and the littlest one drooling through yogurt self-service. Daddy was just trying to keep the peace and I wondered if anyone was really paying attention as we reached this important milestone.

But this morning, as we began our journey through the Book of Mormon once again, I was reminded why our daily breakfast tradition is so important.

From the Book of Mormon's introductory page (read the full text here), I read:

"We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost. (See Moroni 10: 3-5.)

"Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is his revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the second coming of the Messiah."

Raising my children to know and love the Savior and do all they can to return to Him is, after all, my primary goal as a parent. I would really love for them to test Moroni's promise, as I have, and learn for themselves that the Book of Mormon is true. Nothing else can prepare and protect them as these truths can.

So I will continue to read. And hopefully, once in a while, my children will try to listen.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I know how this feels! We've started reading the Book of Mormon every night to our kids, (instead of the Book of Mormon reader). It's difficult language and they usually ask random questions about tomorrow in the middle of it. But, I continue in hopes that the simple things are getting through. It's all we can do, right?

Shaina said...

good for you. It is so hard to keep their attention, but you are doing a great thing. It'll stick with them.

granny said...

Go, go, go! I'm so proud of you for keeping it up. How many little kids can say their family has been through the BOM 4 times! Keep up the good work. You will never regret it.

Jen said...

Wow I am impressed. I have tried and failed many times to do this with the kids. We've read 1st and 2nd Nephi a lot! I feel sheepish...

Grandma said...

Go Heidi and Garry! You are promised that this will help to raise your family in righteousness. They will learn more than you think. Keep it up.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share