Pages

Mar 19, 2009

The rest of the story

I've decided that instead of hashing out the gory details behind my adult "aha" moment, a brief synopsis will suffice. Believe me...this is the brief version of events.

The bottom line: On the Monday after Spring Break, Zachary will attend a new school.

This came about suddenly, and yet momentum has been building for months. It's been a bit of a rough school year for our little boy, partly because Zach is our oldest and we've struggled with knowing when to intervene and when to let things slide. We haven't been able to communicate with Zach's teacher very well, and our concerns about academic progress and (seemingly related) behavior issues haven't resolved to our satisfaction. Things came to a head last week when Zach's teacher informed us of several new challenges.

We live in a school district that offers open enrollment, or the option to choose which school our children attend. There is an annual "choice" window during which parents can apply to transfer schools. We considered submitting a transfer application this year, but I convinced myself that our troubles would improve next year with a different teacher and a fresh start. The choice window closed at the end of February.

Then, on Monday, I happened to talk with a mom whose concerns about our current school and her own children's future there really troubled me. The outlook for better teachers and a more positive experience looked bleak. I felt guilty about not following through with my gut feelings about a transfer. This mom encouraged me to pursue the option anyway, and with Garry heartily on board, on Tuesday I pursued it.

It was a difficult and emotionally draining process. Operating outside the choice window seemed impossible, but after a number of difficult conversations with district office personnel, our current principal, and staff at a new school, I learned we only had one option that would guarantee Zachary and Tyler seats at a better school in the fall. That option was transferring Zachary for the remainder of this school year.

Uprooting Zachary for the fourth quarter seemed harsh. I worried about Zachary's reaction. I dreaded the confrontation with his current teacher and principal that a sudden transfer would inevitably cause. But after weighing our options, it seemed like the best one. So I wrote a couple of letters, emailed them to the right people, and started the process.

By Wednesday morning, everything was official. Paperwork signed and dated by old and new principals. Awkward emails exchanged with the current teacher. A parent-teacher conference canceled. New student packets filled out at the new school. A tough conversation with Zachary. A few tears. His last day of school. Hopefully the hardest parts are behind us.

Zachary took cupcakes to his classmates and collected his friends' phone numbers yesterday. He came home with a stack of school work and a big grin on his face. Apparently his last day was a blast. He gets to meet his new teacher and tour his new school this morning. I think part of him is excited for a new adventure. And I know he'll do well.

As for me, I feel more settled about his education and his overall school experience than I have in months. We are headed in the right direction now; we just had to stumble a little before finding the path.

12 comments:

Shaina said...

I'm glad you are doing what's best for Zach. Hope he loves his new school, and the transition goes smoothly.

Lars said...

Aren't you glad for your experience with an unforeseen move and the "wrong" preschool for Tyler to prepare you for this? Maybe not. But I find in my own life that the rough experiences help pave the way for the next one. And you make it through. :0)

Zachary's not the only one either. If it's any comfort 3 of my girls' classmates made school changes when they went back on-track (homeschool, moving, etc.)
He'll adapt. He's a great kid. Hopefully it will bring more smiles over time.

granny said...

Wishing you all the best! You know I'm behind ya!

Emma said...

It's tough to make a change like that. But you've got to do what's best for you and Zach. I hope all goes well.

rachbechep said...

changes are always good!
keep your head up!!! :)

Adrianna said...

Being a Mom is so tough, isn't it? You are such a good one though! Way to go, You, for sticking up for your kids and giving them all you have!

Grandma said...

I've been thinking about solutions all week. I'm glad you're happy with your solution. I hope he just loves it there and makes tons of new friends.

Bethany said...

The school I lead is also a public school of choice. We occasionally have spaces open up so we call our waiting list applicants mid-year and let them know it's "now or never." Some opt to give up their space for fear that the mid-year change will be too tough for their child. Others go through with it. EVERY single parent that's moved their child mid-year is very glad they did it (even though EVERY single one of them had a rough first day...we're 6-0 for tears) :) Basically what I'm saying is....Great move Heidi!! You'll be so glad you did it.

Trinette McCrary said...

It is hard making the best decisions for your children. Sometimes the best decisions aren't easy ones. I hope his transition is a smooth one.

Carroll Conversations said...

You can do hard things! Especially when it's for the good of your child. I'm glad you followed your prompting and hopefully now you can enjoy the peaceful feeling from following that. Way to stand up for your child!

GinaJ said...

Good job, Mom!

Jen said...

Academy Endeavor huh? Wow - sounds pretty snazzy! (o: he he. It does stink to be an adult sometimes - I get that feeling all the time. But the more hard things we do - the braver we get. Good job doing something hard! I think being a member of the church gives us lots of practice too when you think about it. We are constantly having to do hard callings, work with different personalities, stand up for our beliefs, get up in front of people and talk (sometimes without warning), etc. etc. It is just ingrained in us that, yes, we can do hard things AND we will get that unseen support when it is the RIGHT thing. I'm so happy things worked out for you guys!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share