Pages

Feb 13, 2009

Happy birthday, Bat-boy

Tyler is five. Wow.

Despite our dropping jaws (where did those five years go?), we managed to have quite the celebration for our little boy! Before chronicling all our adventures, allow me to digress with a small bit of nostalgia: the newsletter we issued five years ago to announce his birth to the world (ahem, our online family).

Back to the scheduled programming.

The first celebration phase happened at 7:00 a.m. with the ceremonial opening of presents. As per tradition, out-of-town relatives spoiled him silly, but the teepee I made was also a hit. Tyler played with his presents all morning.





Phase two happened at the doctor's office. Exciting, no? We scheduled his five-year well-check for today because his annual physical on file at preschool expires tomorrow. Happily, Tyler got all his immunization boosters last year, so today's visit was 100% positive and shot-free. I was happy to learn he has perfect vision and excellent hearing. Since we've worried about hearing in the past and one of his ear tubes fell out recently, it was nice to get that assurance. Ty is set to go for kindergarten!

Phase three happened with one
SUPER birthday party. I broke my own rule of every-other-year birthday parties since I knew it would mean so much to Tyler (stay tuned for the in-fairness-to-Zachary bash scheduled for March). As expected, the house was all mayhem and madness for an hour and a half as eleven superheroes zoomed around. The kids colored super heroes, played "pass the kryptonite," did super calisthenics, made a human yarn web, and went crazy with a ball and parachute game. We ended with presents, Batman cake, chocolate ice cream, and green "super juice."





I felt every day of my almost-26-weeks gestation when it was all over, but I also felt a little like Supermom watching Tyler. The presents and decorations and costumes and cake and party guests seemed so magical to him! He soaked up every detail and enjoyed every moment of his festivities.

Happy birthday, Tyler! We love you!


Post script: I also feel like today's post wouldn't be complete without mentioning Tyler's special birthday buddy, Candace. We're thinking about you today!

7 comments:

Grandma said...

Happy birthday Ty! We're so glad you had such a fun party. Your mom did a great job helping you have such a fun party. It looks like you had a blast. We love, love, love you.

Carroll Conversations said...

Wow, you creative genius! A teepee, really? That is sooo cool. How you lived to tell about this day with all those superheroes in the house is incredible. What a fun day. Happy Birthday Tyler. Thanks for sharing your birthday with our angel Candace. Can't believe you're 5, wow!

Shaina said...

What cute pictures! And that teepee is absolutley terrific!! Good job.

The Mitchells said...

Out of context, I know, but your kids could not be any cuter. I'm glad Ty had a good birthday. And that Tepee is absolutely the coolest! You must tell me how you made it!

Colleen said...

It looks like a happy happy day! I am glad Tyler got his dream birthday! Josh sure had fun at the party. On a side note, I was amazed to read your friend's story about her baby. Amazingly, I have a good friend from College and a cousin-in-law who both had babies born with that same condition. Your friend's strength through trial, and how she allowed it all to expand her testimony is amazing!

Briana @ Sweet Dreams are Made of These said...

Heidi,
You look just like I remember! The pig-tails and cape are a great touch. Got to love boys!
Briana

Heidi said...

You are a phenomenal mother...and I love you for being so good to my nephews. You amaze me Heidi!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share