Pages

Jan 20, 2009

A post script with pictures

Granny (et al), since you wanted an update...

Zachary's toe is badly infected, possibly with Staph, but we won't know until a culture comes back in a couple of days. He was in very little pain by the time his exam rolled around; the toe was oozing some nasty goop but it was closer to normal size and color. I was glad to have documented the worst stage so I could show the pictures to the physician's assistant without prolonging Zachary's pain.



For now, the treatment protocol includes thrice-daily foot baths of warm water and Epsom salt (the semi-helpful remedy we've already tried thus far), plus a Keflex prescription four times a day. The medication may change if the culture comes back with something weird.


After a harrowing half hour at the doctor's office (Gavin was ridiculous, due in part to his incredible lack of sleep and in part to the irony of pediatric exam rooms being utterly non-baby-proof), we made a return appointment for Friday afternoon. Then we drove to the pharmacy (we should get a Frequent Flyer discount at Walgreens), where I explained I need two bottles of Keflex - one for home and one for school.

I came home and put Gavin down for a nap. The world would be a happier place if this baby could get some sleep. Then I talked to Garry, who was finally warm under eight layers of blankets. Tyler had been sharing his sick bed and had been hysterical and uncomfortable for a while, but when I got home he was sleeping peacefully. He was still sporting a fever, even under the influence of Motrin. Garry didn't have Motrin in his system and was burning up as well.

When I returned to pick up Zachary's prescription an hour later, I got exactly what I ordered. I also picked up Children's Motrin, Pedialyte, extra-moisturizing lotion for Garry's cracking skin, and a big bag of peanut M&Ms just for me. I then proceeded to the elementary school, where I worked out the details of Zachary's medicine regimen with the office staff. Apparently several staffers saw Zach's toe and are very concerned about exactly what sort of infection was oozing around the school today. I have instructions to report the lab's findings when I get them.

As for me, I have resolved to self-medicate with chocolate and sleep in the guest bedroom for a few days. I got a flu shot this season, but I don't think it will cover the full panel of Yuck that's floating around this place!

10 comments:

Lyon Pride said...

What a day! We had yuck last week so I'm happy that we are on the mend. Good luck!

The Wizzle said...

You know, I almost asked about the possibility of staph earlier, but I didn't want to freak you out unnecessarily. David and my dad have both had staph infections in the last couple of weeks, and keflex is what they were on that cleared it up. Hopefully that does the trick!

Carroll Conversations said...

Wow, what a day you've had! Here, let me gripe about flock for you, while you're taking care of a sick household, ugh! So sorry!

Chelsea said...

Oh my ouchness! Poor little guy. You truly win the wonder woman mother of the year award for this bout of sickness! Good luck with everything!!

**I never know if people go back and read blog responses. So here is my comment back :)
When we moved to Tx the first friend I met who moved in the same day I did got called to be activities chair. She totally felt that same pressure you did! New girl syndrome is no fun!!!

Kari said...

Hope everyone feels better soon. Tough times for sure. Sending prayers your way.

angiedunn said...

Two words: Holy Ouch.

Bless your pregnant heart, sister.

Feel better boys!

And Heidi: eat some more chocolate.

Colleen said...

Wow, Heidi! You guys have been hit with quite the plauge and other random ailments! I am so sorry! I hope everything is ok with Zach's toe, how odd. And that this illness scoots its way out quickly and chooses to leave the three of you well! I am a great errand runner, so if you need anything else let me know and I can pick it up and drop it off for you!

granny said...

So, so, so, so, so, so sorry. Have you considered running away?

J/K

Trinette McCrary said...

Sorry you are so sick over there. Get better soon.

Grandma said...

Wow, Zachs toe looks much worse than Sunday. I'm so sorry but I'm glad you've got some medicine now. I hope you are all on the mend. Let me know.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share