Pages

Jan 10, 2009

Lost & found

I am the queen of losing stuff lately. I blame it on pregnancy brain, but really I'm just turning into a flake. Usually it's something fairly minor, like when I got to the lab yesterday and couldn't find the prescription from Gavin's pediatrician with orders for his stool cultures (don't ask). A quick phone call and a fax remedied the situation within minutes.

But misplacing important possessions, like my keys to the church, gets annoying. (Last time I did that, I found them dangling from they keyhole of the activities committee closet. Not good.) Happily, Friday was a day of finding things!

The first thing I found has a funny story behind it. When I was folding laundry Tuesday night, I found a round lapel-style pin that said "I am loved." I had never seen it before and just set it aside. Garry found it later and asked if I wanted it. I replied that no, I had no clue where it came from, so please just chuck it. He said that it came with the pearl earrings he gave me for Christmas. Taken aback, I said, "What pearl earrings?" He smiled and said, "The ones in your stocking...." I was confused. I hadn't found any pearl earrings in my stocking!

We had a little discussion, whereupon we discovered that somehow a little velvet bag with genuine pearl earrings had probably gone out with the Christmas trash. I was so sad! Garry had gotten the earrings for free during a jewelry store promotion, but I still felt awful about (1) overlooking them and therefore not appreciating the gesture on Christmas, and (2) inadvertently throwing away something valuable! We went so far as to check the stockings in the attic, but they were empty, so we wrote off the earrings as a loss.

Then, when I was ironing a pair of Garry's pants yesterday afternoon, I noticed a lump in the pocket. Fully expecting a wad of tissue, I reached in and instead discovered a little velvet bag! Inside were two freshly laundered pearl earrings! Apparently they didn't make it to the stocking after all. I called Garry, we had a good laugh, and I wore the pearls with my jeans and t-shirt for the rest of the day.


Next, during my frustrated search for the above-mentioned prescription in the van, I discovered an envelope I intended to mail...in September. It was addressed to my missionary brother Ryan. It's a good thing we also communicate via email, because this particular letter included news of my pregnancy! I had to readdress and re-stamp the envelope, since Ryan is in Croatia now, rather than the Missionary Training Center in Utah. I included a sticky note with an explanation of the outdated news because I thought it might make him laugh.


We have a couch in the kitchen with felt pads on the feet so it won't scratch the wood floor. Tyler likes to push it around, and today he moved it several feet to one side so he could rescue a paper airplane that lost altitude and hid underneath it. He discovered all sorts of treasures under the couch, including the lid to our garbage can that has been missing for at least two months. Dirty though it may be, we're so glad to have it back!


Late this afternoon I realized I couldn't find the ride-on truck Gavin got for his birthday. It's kind of a large toy, but also a favorite, so its absence from the toy corner was obvious. When Gavin was grumpy, I searched every room of the house. Then the closets. And then, when I remembered we took it to playgroup at the church, I searched the van. It was nowhere to be found! I was positive we'd picked it up on our way out of the church, so I quizzed the boys. After a fruitless interrogation, in which I actually suspected Tyler of dumping the truck in a parking lot somewhere, I asked Garry to go check the church. He did -- and found the truck in the nursery. Seeing it in the front seat of his car when he got home made me very happy.


This last one was never lost, but I was absolutely delighted to find it in the mailbox today. A great big Thank You goes out to Granny, the woman of impeccable taste and uncanny ability to bring a smile to my face. She must have gone on a girly shopping spree as soon as she heard our news! Included in package was a teeny tiny sleeper with a big pink flower. Ah...girls. I think I'm excited.

7 comments:

granny said...

This post actually made me feel better...I've pulled some pretty senile memory lapses lately. Congrats on finding things though...so funny about the truck! And the earrings.

Glad you like the dress. :)

The Mitchells said...

I always blame losing things on having kids. You have so many distractions in the middle of doing anything, (even going to the bathroom!!) that its a wonder everything doesn't get lost!! Not to mention them picking up any random thing that crosses their eye and dragging it around, or even stuffing it in some interesting hole or cubby they find along the way. Of course, its not always their fault. I assumed that Carter must have lost my phone because I couldn't find it any where. Turns out I dropped it at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They eventually called the number that said "Dad". Poor Carter. Good thing he'll never know!

Margaret

Lyon Pride said...

cute dress. I need to have a "Finding week." I usually feel pretty organized but lately I'm glad my head is screwed on!

Carroll Conversations said...

My heart sank with you at the thought of throwing out your pearl earrings. So glad you put them on with jeans. Isn't that what they go best with anyway??? I just had to laugh at all the missing stuff. I'm still looking for a Christmas present for Jon I hid away--not from Christmas '08, but from Christmas '07. I finally bought another and still can't find the original. Love the cute dress. Granny sure does have great taste. Still so excited!

Raegan said...

It is so good to know I am not the only one who feels like they miss some brain cells when they are pregnant. (That makes it sound like I am pregnant. I am not.) So when they are supposed to come back?

JulSH said...

If we didn't lose or find things, we wouldn't have such great stories to share, right?

I'm so glad that your "losts" had happy endings!

4th baby really take the brain cells. I'm still hoping for mine to come back...still hoping...still hoping... Thus, why I decided to make sudoku a daily habit. (Maybe that will help?)

Shaina said...

Sounds like a fun week of rediscovering things! By the way, Lydia and I noticed the truck in the gym at the church, and figured you must have left it. Had we known you were looking for it, we would have called you!!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share