Pages

Jan 19, 2009

A civil rights tribute -- first-grade style

Zachary's first grade teacher challenged his class to memorize a portion of the famous "I Have a Dream" speech by Martin Luther King, Jr. Ms. Katzenmeyer sent home short and long versions of the speech segment, and I encouraged Zach to memorize the long one. As it turned out, Zach was only one of two kids to memorize this part, and he did a fantastic job! It was great to see his grade sheet come home with "Wow! Excellent! 100%!" written across the page.

Here's a video of Zachary doing his speech. He really rushed through it on camera...but it's obvious he knows the words!

9 comments:

The Hadley Family said...

WOW Zach! That was awesome. (Interesting sidenote...I read an article that said the majority of blacks say Martin Luther King's vision has been fulfilled now with the election of Barack Obama.)

The Wizzle said...

I love it! My kids and I have already watched Dr. King's speech on YouTube this morning, so they thought it was super cool to hear Zach do it again!

Trinette McCrary said...

Wow, he did a great job. It is amazing how smart children can be. Love your blog.

granny said...

Great memorizing Zach! We are proud of you.

Holly said...

DUDE.

Zach, you are a pro.

Colleen said...

It is wonderful that the teachers are really helping the kids understand what this day is about! Great job on the memorization Zach!

The Bui's said...

That's fantastic. I'm bursting with pride and he's not even my child.

Shaina said...

Keaton was asked to memorize part of it too!! He also did a great job. Way to go Zach!

Carroll Conversations said...

Very impressive! He is growing up, and I really noticed him changing from when you were here. I know it happens slowly for you, but wow it feels overnight for me.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share