Pages

Jan 29, 2009

Learning and growing (and possibly driving me crazy)

Since Gavin turned one, I haven't been as regular at recording his growth and development, but I have noticed a lot of things about him lately that I want to remember.

Some of his emerging skills:
  • Helping himself to water via the freezer door dispenser
  • Climbing on chairs and couches
  • Throwing things in the toilet
  • Crawling in the dishwasher
  • Navigating down stairs quickly and easily
  • Following simple directions (notable exception: "stop doing that")
  • Getting his own diapers and wipes when he's stinky (and putting them away later)
  • Signing a few words (eat, more, cereal, cracker, all done, milk, baby)
  • Identifying body parts on himself and others
  • Playing peek-a-boo
  • Making church an attend-at-risk-of-peril endeavor
  • Folding his arms and attempting to close his eyes during prayers (see picture)
Interesting personality traits:
  • Being more attached to Russell (the stuffed bear) than ever
  • Adoring brothers and Daddy, especially after an absence
  • Hating to see Mommy sitting in the office chair
  • Bullying children twice his age and/or size
  • Stealing food from people and the pantry
  • Being obsessed with big-people shoes; wearing them on his arms or feet
  • Refusing to wear his own shoes
  • Taking off his socks no matter the temperature
  • Having unexplained and uncontrollable tantrums
  • Loving to play with laundry baskets, belts, and remote controls
Physical changes since November:
  • Completely outgrowing size 12-months clothing; now wearing 18-24 mos.
  • Wearing size six shoes
  • Cutting four molars in the last month
  • Weighing more than 28 pounds
  • Losing the ability to sleep through the night and nap well or regularly

I have a cute video of Gavin doing some of the signs he knows, with encouragement from the whole family. Unfortunately, it won't upload at the moment. Maybe later!

5 comments:

m = michelle said...

the toys and toilet one gets me. We just had the plumber out last week to fix that problem. that's always fun!

You take great notes about your life and kids. It always makes me want to do the same. Then I remember how lazy I am :)

joeyship said...

I guess I'm getting too old, but reading all of that just made me very, very tired for you. hahaha

He sounds like a typical 1+ year old, though. This really took me on a trip down memory lane.

Carroll Conversations said...

I can't believe how fast he's growing up. His little cheesy grin just melts my heart. So sweet!

Trinette McCrary said...

What a cute picture. It is amazing what children can do and sometimes in a short amount of time. Yes, I decided to sign up for the accent.

Grandma said...

I hope we get to see the video sometime. I love watching them in action. He's an adorable little guy. I just love to hug and kiss him. Thanks for the updates!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share