Pages

Feb 1, 2011

Letters

Dear Red Robin waitress,

Thank you for being patient with Bartle, Party of Seven tonight. As we ordered our meal, you gestured to the melee at our table and said, "Wow...I'd be like, "AHHH!" with all of this, and you're like chill. That's cool."

Well, we're not always "chill," but we try. It helped that Granny paid for the experience (and the food.)

Sincerely,

Granny's daughter

P.S. I was unreasonably disappointed that we left our take-out boxes behind until I threw up my entire dinner. I'm pretty sure I won't be eating at your establishment again for a while.

...

Dear insomnia,

Go away.

Love (wait...),

Sleepless in Colorado Springs

...

Dear Women's Conference talk,

I have so many ideas for you, but also have limited energy, stamina, and mental capacity. Even though I don't have to present you for almost three months, I am beginning to wonder when you will develop into something other than notes on a legal pad. Feel free to write yourself up one of these days so I can relax.

Best wishes,

Your author

...

Dear wind chimes,

You are the only happy thing about the weather right now. Outside the temperature is something ridiculous, like -6 degrees (and I'm not exaggerating this time). With the wind chill, I'm sure it's much less. Sheesh! I am cold just thinking about being you.

I am super grateful for my heater, which now has a functional pilot light thanks to Garry's mad skillz.

Frigidly yours,

The popsicle

...

Dear sweat pants,

You (all of the many pairs of you) are my favorite articles of clothing. You make difficult days more comfortable. You make me forget about my expanding waist line. You are especially convenient at nap time and bedtime, which no longer require a change in attire. You are also very versatile during the day, serving as lounge wear at home and impromptu public duds when Zachary suddenly needs parental assistance to walk into his classroom from the car. It's always nice to greet the assistant principal knowing I look my best.

Fashionably yours,

Mama-to-be

...

Dear Mommy,

You are my favorite. I think you should move in, at least temporarily. Not only are you the Jack-of-all-trades when it comes to housework and child care, you are a friend and a comforting influence to me. Life on the couch is so much brighter with you here.

I understand that my Mesa-dwelling father, five siblings, three siblings-in-law, five nieces and nephews; your numerous friends; the MHS choir booster club; the Primary presidency; and the Kimball Stake girls camp staff (to name a few) would all miss you tremendously if you moved to Colorado. And I know you detest the cold. But I hope you'll consider it anyway.

Love,

Heidi

7 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Yay letters! Yay Granny! Boo barfing!

(No, seriously, that waitress's comment made me laugh out loud. Lots of times, we definitely are "all AAAAHHHHH about this"! But maybe, to an outsider at least, we look "chill". That's kind of comforting!

Johnson Family said...

perfect letters! I always LOVE it when you post your letters, they are my FAVORITE! You are very, very creative!!!!
Another couch dweller, Christa

Shaina said...

Your talk will be amazing. Lots of notes generate into amazing and well-thought-out talks.

granny said...

I wish I could live in two places at once. Oh how I wish. You reminded me of all the "stuff" I have to do when I get home....maybe I should stay. Haha.

Colleen said...

I am so glad you've had your mom for a bit, even if it's hard to say goodbye. And I love sweats too, and I bet the principal does too! Although I can't imagine your waistline is expanding at all with how sick you are. I am hoping this sick part, although not fully over for 9 months, will begin it's decline to less than it is right now quickly!

Melanie said...

Love the letters! Sorry for the insomnia. Wish I could wave my magic wand so that you could have good nights, which would help you have better days!

Emily Hayes said...

I know it's really off topic- but I remembered a while ago you asked for recommendations for books that your older boys could enjoy and would be age appropriate.

I just finished reading The Mysterious Benedict Society and really recommend it. It's a series but I have only read the first one (so far). But it is one of the best kids books I have ever read and I will be reading it to my kids in the future.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share