Pages

Feb 16, 2011

The small people in the house

Are you sick of pregnancy updates? Me too. Here's a look at what else is going on around here.

Unbeknownst to me, Zach has enjoyed a season of respite from homework. I have asked him to do his homework every day, and he has reported it complete, but I have not checked it at all. Today I decided to follow up on his work, and he had eight incomplete math assignments, to say nothing of his spelling homework and reading projects. Oh, that child....he's taken advantage of me! I am very glad that I emailed all of Zach's and Tyler's teachers (including the assistant principal) about our crazy situation at home. The teachers have been very understanding so far!

Last night was our ward's Blue and Gold Banquet for Cub Scouts. The theme was "Through the Ages," and each boy was encouraged to bake and decorate a cake with his father to serve for dessert. Garry and Zach made a volcano that looked fantastic! I especially love the strawberry jam lava, which was a last-minute touch. All of the boys won awards for their cakes. Zachary brought home the "fanciest cake" prize.



Tyler spent the afternoon reading jokes from a book his cousin gave him for his birthday. (Sidebar: a birthday post is coming. We are having issues with our camera card reader for the fancy camera, which takes all birthday photos.) Most of the jokes were pretty funny...as long as you understood the play on words, which Tyler often didn't. So Tyler would read a joke out loud, then offer a pause, then say, "I don't get it," and then I would explain it to him. I found the exercise entertaining. I was also impressed when, as I was reviewing Zach's math homework, Tyler wanted to know about fractions. By the end of my explanation, he seemed to grasp the concept quite well. Smarty pants.

Lately Tyler has suffered from debilitating headaches. Last week the PA at our pediatrician's office diagnosed the headaches as migraines. What a bummer! Yesterday Tyler called from school with another headache. Garry had a conference call and couldn't leave work, so I carted Lexi to the school to pick him up. When I arrived in the office, I was completely overwhelmed by the effort involved with leaving my house. I was quite a sight, standing there with a sick baby and an IV pole. But I digress. Tyler responded well to ibuprofen this time and seems to be better now. Garry took him in to see the PA again (at her request). We are holding off on a neuro consult for now.



Gavin is expanding his social horizons. Every day, a kind mother in our ward picks up Gavin and Lexi at 9:00 a.m. and returns them to our house at noon. Six months ago, such a routine would have been a complete disaster, but now the Littles are thrilled to leave the house to play with friends. This has been a huge blessing in my life and theirs! Gavin has enjoyed such adventures as visiting the library, the park, and restaurants; having a Valentines party; eating lunch with someone new every day; and occasionally skipping his nap. Every morning he is eager to get dressed and fill his backpack with supplies. Every afternoon he bursts in the door and exclaims, "I always come back!"

This week I have hired teenagers to help me in the afternoons. The girls are mostly employed to entertain Gavin, who still runs a mile a minute and gets into everything. I am finding he doesn't just save his antics for me; he gives these girls a run for their money! I'm so grateful for the extra set of hands during a challenging time.

Gavin still asks me if I'm feeling better about ten times a day. He doesn't seem too discouraged that I always have a negative response. One of these days he'll get his wish. Listening to his prayers on my behalf is so touching. Gavin really has a tender heart.



Miss Lexi has become quite a cuddle bug. With her out-and-about adventures every day, she seems to relish time with her mama. She loves to sit on my lap and just melt into me. We read stories and watch shows together, and sometimes we just rest. I love our quiet time. I also appreciate the times when Lexi goes down for her post-playdate naps without a fuss. Usually she's only home ten minutes or so before it is nap time. She seems to know I can't chase her and just complies with the routine. What a sweet little girl!

Lexi has had an upset tummy for the last couple of days. I kept her home yesterday because she threw up Monday night (and then on me in the morning...that was fun). After that she really perked up and I thought she would be fine at a friend's house today. It wasn't until Lexi came home that my friend informed me that Lexi threw up as soon as she arrived and then slept on the couch. I can't believe April kept her all day! What a trooper. I'm not sure what we'll do with Lexi tomorrow. Maybe she needs another day with her mama.



The Baby has a strong heartbeat, which I was privileged to hear again yesterday. Baby is 12 weeks and 2 days old. Although the many medical professionals in my life can't make any promises about a happy ending, they have all told me that severe hyperemesis typically indicates strong fetal growth and attachment. That is my happy thought for the day.

Well, there's the rundown. Life goes on, even if a sick mama is confined to the recliner. I'm so grateful for all the people who are helping me and my children survive this phase!

9 comments:

Julz said...

I started getting migraines when I was 8. The hard part is figuring out his triggers. If you keep a diary and note what he eats on certain days as well as strong smells. And of course stress. Eventually you can try to eliminate some triggers. One of my triggers that took forever to figure out, is bananas. In fact turns out my brother and grandma had/have the same trigger. So I'm probablly telling you things you already know I just want to help out and it's one of the few things I have a great deal of experience with. Also excedrine migraine has been better to me than any prescribe migraine medicen. Problem is learning to identify hen a migraine is starting. If you ever ned to do something again like you did with taking lexy to school. Let me know. She or gavin or the other boys are welcome here ANYTIME.

Grandma said...

I'm glad the doctors say your suffering is not hurting the baby. It was great reading about each of the kids. Poor Tyler. I'm so sorry to hear about his headaches. We'll pray extra hard for him. Lexi looked so cute in that picture. They are all sweet kids.

Fisher Family said...

Heidi,
You seriously are amazing... oh and Tyler's cake was awesome!!

The Wizzle said...

That cake is amazing! If a cake that cool ever came out of my house, especially during a period of such upheaval, I would be literally patting myself on the back.

And WHO is that girl in the picture? That cannot be Lexi! I can't believe how grown up she looks.

granny said...

Loved the updates. Can't wait for real live hugs.

girlygirl said...

I was going to say triggers as well for the migraines. Both Collin and I have them, my mom has them, and we think Alex has had a few. I've noticed her triggers seem to be too much refined sugar, not enough sleep, or not enough water. Usually I make her lie down in a dark room with ice on her forhead and she falls instantly asleep (which is not typical for her) and then feels better when she wakes up. :) Good luck. Hope you guys are feeling better soon!

Unknown said...

Glad to see things are working out. That was one of Andrew's concerns was how was the baby. I started struggling at 6 wks. The Dr. reassured us that the baby was fine. He said to thing of the baby as a parasite. It strong and is getting everything he needs. It's the mom we need to worry about. It almost killed me, but I survived. Keep up the positive vibes. If you need to vent e-mail me or call or text. It helps. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

Love the updates! What a good mama to still have a mindful eye as to the individual lives of all your little ones. And three cheers to the army of volunteers. Blessings on all of them! And on all of you!!!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share