Pages

Jan 31, 2011

Funnies

One of the hardest parts about being sick is the impact on my family. Garry has to work so hard to keep up with the demands of our young children and the constant housework since I am basically out of commission. The kids don't get as much attention as they need and I don't have as much patience with their usual antics as I should. I try not to dwell on the guilt, and we all just do the best we can do.

Then, every once in a while, the kids make references to this experience that make me laugh out loud.

On Tuesday, the day I ended up in the ER, I was kind of a mess. At one point Gavin brought me a piece of Christmas candy he had scrounged up from somewhere. He said to me: "If I give you this candy, will you stop throwing up and crying?" Ha! What a tender soul. Gavin does not part with sugar very easily.

My mom said that yesterday, she and Zach were playing a game at the kitchen table. Their happy time together was briefly interrupted by the sound of me losing my lunch (or some other meal) in the bathroom down the hall. Granny made a sad face in Zach's direction. He said, "Yeah, she's gross." That just tickles my funny bone.

I realize that my kids' commentary on a tragic situation might not seem funny, but all I can do is laugh. I wonder how much the kids will remember from this time.....

12 comments:

Holly said...

I seriously don't know how you do it. You're awesome, Heidi!

Danielle said...

lol, kids' perception of pregnancy is pretty funny.

I think what cracks me up the most now is how when I would throw up, Ethan would bang the toilet lid on my head repeatedly. At the time, not funny in the least. Now it's quite humorous.

Shannon said...

Zach's remark makes me giggle. That is too funny! Hang in there, Heidi. You make great sacrifices for your babies and you will most certainly be rewarded.

girlygirl said...

Hang in there Heidi! I am thinking of you. :)

granny said...

I giggle every time I think about our little convo over the game. But seriously, I'm pretty sure your throne in heaven is secure, and that it won't be of the ceramic variety.

maynardmoments said...

Hilarious! Kids are so resiliant, it is amazing. Someday, they will realize exactly what it was like for you, and they will look to you as wonder woman!

rachbechep said...

hahahaha. i love granny's comment to zach and on here...haha. :)

rachbechep said...

hahahaha. i love granny's comment to zach and on here...haha. :)

The Wizzle said...

Well, I'm not laughing at *you* but I'm definitely laughing at your boys! They seem to have a pretty firm grasp on things to me. :)

Johnson Family said...

Hopefully they won't remember much of the throwing up, but they will remember the memories like giving you a piece of candy. Kids have wonderfully selective memories. In fact, Gavin will probably tell you that you owe him a piece of candy sometime down the road. he he

Paula said...

their memories are short - mine are already asking for another baby!!! And I am still in twice weekly rehab, get paid help with cleaning BUT at least nolonger have live in in-law help:)They seem not to be scarred by me missing sharing almost a year of their lives.

Melanie said...

Love it! It's just real life!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share