Pages

Feb 6, 2011

Drip...drip...drip...

Last night my home care nurse came by to start IV fluids. Garry was getting the kids in bed and the smells in the kitchen really bothered me, so we adjourned to my bedroom. Ninety minutes and four sticks later, we gave up. My veins were too small and flimsy and elusive. The nurse couldn't start an IV. She said I had the worst veins she had seen in years.

So I went to the ER. There were a few hiccups in the process, since the ER staff isn't accustomed to letting a patient leave with an IV in her arm. Finally the right approvals came, a nurse came to my room, and we tried again.

Miraculously, she inserted the IV on the first try. It's in a painful place--right by my left elbow--but it's functional for now. The doctor wouldn't let me leave without fluids, so I took two liters over 90 minutes, in addition to a dose of IV Zofran. I felt worse when I left than when I arrived, but it was still a "mission accomplished" situation. I got home at 12:45 a.m.

Then I called the home nursing service and someone walked me through getting hooked up to fluids at home. I spent the night half awake, making sure not to disturb the IV site.



This morning I had to change my Zofran pump syringe just as the kids were waking up. I dutifully checked my weight (as I must every day). I am two pounds heavier this morning than I was 12 hours ago. I guess those fluids are sticking! I still can't see the veins in my hands.

I'm feeling much better, too. It's likely that I'll do continuous fluids for at least three days so I can catch up. I pulled out of all of my church obligations yesterday. The Relief Society president is coming by this afternoon to determine how the women in the ward can serve our family. I probably can't drive for a while; I can barely get out of bed. This is an interesting season of life.

11 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry you've got to be hooked up, but its better than being dangerously dehydrated, I guess.

Melanie said...

So sorry, little mama! I'm glad you didn't wait another day to get on IV--not being able to find a vein is a good indication that you're dehydrated! What a tough road. You must be exhausted. Hang in there!

The Wizzle said...

Well, I'm glad you're getting some help! I hope this is a short season for you.

Erin@mamaswhoknow said...

Wow, what a pregnancy! I salute you. Best of luck in the next few days. Somehow you still sound very positive!

Rosemary T said...

If I lived close, I would bring you dinner :)
Think of this as a great opportunity for the sisters in your ward to serve and bond together. I was just saying that our ward needs a crisis to pull us together.
Hugs from a distance

Julz said...

Omgosh, you poor thing.

Grandma said...

When I talked to Garry last night he said you weren't good at all. I'm so sorry that you're having such a tough time. Hopefully this won't last long. I'm so sorry I'm not closer so I could help out. Hang in there. Remember the end result is definitely worth it.

granny said...

Looks like I came a week too soon! I'm glad that you are going to get some help...I'm heartsick not to be there through this.

Danielle said...

Just realized that one of the other blogs I read the girl is going through the same thing as you right now with her pregnancy.

http://treyandlucy.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-can-make-more-than-just-crafts-around.html

Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Oh do I know how you feel. The memories. I still get nausea when I see a home delivery van. I know It's been over a year. I hope that it works or at least takes the edge off. Gaining weight is a good sign. I kept losing for another four weeks. Arrgh. Text me if you need me to call. :0 I will be very empathetic. :)

Anonymous said...

oh Heidi...

Hang in there, friend. I like what your Grandma says...the end is so worth it, and you are so very lucky <3 love you!!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share