Pages

Feb 10, 2011

Inside, outside, upside-down

Here I am, in all my pajama-sporting, IV-toting glory.
On this day, I actually took a shower.
There is a way to take a shower with an IV in place,
but I'm nervous about the procedures involved.
As it turns out, I've had three IVs in six days,
and every-other-day showers are working so far
(don't judge).


On Tuesday night, I fell asleep just before my IV bag drained completely.
When it dried out, blood from my arm went into the IV tubing and a clot formed.
Bye-bye, IV.
Yesterday a new nurse came to place a new IV. Her first attempt failed.
I begged her not to try in my hand (begged, I tell you),
but she did it anyway.
I was so upset about the painful location that severely hampers my functionality
that I needed to take a walk and clear my head.
So out I went, bundled against the 12-degree weather, IV pole and all.


I imagine I was quite a spectacle for the two or three people
who saw me from their cars.
Oh, well. My slow, slow walk around the block was invigorating.
My upside-down life is distressing at times,
but fresh air and sunshine just might be my ticket to sanity.

4 comments:

Shaina said...

I've had to absolutely refuse to have iv's in certain places, on Kimble. Be your own advocate!!

Glad you got a walk around the block. A change of scenery does wonders.

Lindsey L said...

Oh my gosh Heidi. You are a trooper. PLEASE let me know what I can do to help you. You'll be in my prayers!!

Linds

Melanie said...

If only all this medical intervention was a sure cure. Seems like all of it causes this side effect or that. Sorry for the collection of troubles! Hang tough, little Mama!

Colleen said...

At least freezing sunshine is still sunshine! :) Hang in there!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share