Pages

Feb 21, 2011

The road to...here.

I have been pondering the adventures of the last few months, marveling at what has happened, where my family and I have been, what new (and hard) things we have done. I'm really glad I didn't know what was ahead when I pleaded with Heavenly Father for another baby. I'm quite certain I wouldn't have been brave enough. Now that I'm in the thick of things, I'm mostly not brave enough, but I'm trying to summon my courage again, now that we've hit a new milestone and the way ahead is less clear than ever.

The time line seems important to me today, with dates and events floating through my brain, so here's a brief(ish) run-down:

December 25: Garry finds a positive pregnancy test (taken that morning in secrecy) in his Christmas stocking. He sees it, thinks it is negative, gives me a weird look, and hides it away. I have to revisit the issue later that day. We bask in the happy news, let it soak in, and keep it to ourselves.

January 4: Morning sickness arrives. I write in my journal: "only dry heaves so far." There follows a 25-day break in my journal.

January 7: Puke arrives in earnest.

January 11: First OB appointment. Ultrasound confirms dates and a beating heart. I beg for a Zofran prescription (and don't get it). We announce the pregnancy, knowing that I'm not far along but unable to hide my sickness. We tell the kids, who are relieved to find out that I'm not dying. We sit around the dinner table and brainstorm baby names. Zach lists all his friends' names. Garry and I pledge not to have a real conversation until we know gender.

January 18: Doc finally OK's Zofran. I'm vomiting 2-3 times a day with constant nausea. It's hard to manage the household. Zofran isn't a miracle cure but mostly keeps the vomiting at bay. There are unsavory side effects, but vomiting seems less savory.

January 22: I decide to take a short break from Zofran to recover from the side-effects. In past pregnancies, breaks like this were effective and balancing. Not this time. I go into a tailspin.

January 25: By Tuesday I have gone 48 hours without keeping anything (not water, crackers, popsicles -- anything) down. I have to call Garry home from work at noon. I spend the night in the ER getting IV fluids. I am 9 weeks and 2 days along.

January 27: Miraculously (and I do mean by God-given miracle), I am stable enough to travel to Utah for Women's Conference orientation, which is completely delightful. I vomit during the travel periods, but feel quite well the rest of the time.
What a blessing.

February 3: I have an emergency appointment with my OB. Even with constant Zofran (every eight hours, around the clock; I set an alarm at night to take it), I am throwing up and/or dry heaving half a dozen times a day. Nothing is working. I can hardly function. Several friends have suggested a Zofran pump, and my doctor complies.

February 4: I meet my home care nurse, Shelly, for the first time and feel completely overwhelmed by the process of caring for myself. But I learn to poke myself in the gut to set up subcutanenous Zofran infusion. It's not as bad as it sounds.

February 5: Shelly comes back to set up home IV fluids. I am so dehydrated that she can't find a vein suitable for an IV. She tries four times (ouch) and then sends me to the ER. Ouch.

February 6-10: On the upside, people from church are helping with my kids, meals, and housework. I find I am benefitting from the fluid infusion. It seems to be helping much more than the Zofran. I am learning to time my meals with Zofran boluses. Things are looking up....except that I keep having complications (usually in the middle of the night) with my IV sites. One infiltrates (the vein bursts and the fluid fills the surrounding tissue). One clots off. One just has to be moved. I take one out on my own because we make the decision to insert a PICC line in my arm.

February 11: I get a PICC line in my arm. It's not love at first sight. It causes chest pain and doesn't infuse as well as the IV. My arm hurts. I actually feel MORE nauseated than before. In general, I'm not a fan, but all things point to eventual improvement, and I do love the absence of an IV.

February 13: Happy Birthday to Tyler!

February 14: Lexi is vomiting. She is the first of four puking, coughing, feverish kids this week. Garry handles all of it. (Happy Valentine's Day!)

February 15: Lexi is still puking. Tyler has a migraine. I pick him up from school (pole and all) and have a breakdown in the front office. On the same day, I'm concerned enough about my new chest pain (and general deterioration) that I see my doctor again. He orders a chest x-ray to confirm placement. He also pledges to figure out a new medicine regime to alleviate my worsening symptoms. The x-ray results are normal. Everyone is relieved but me; my chest still hurts. Something is wrong.

February 16: While Shelly (whom I adore, by the way) is changing the PICC dressing, the catheter somehow pulls out a tiny bit. In an instant, my chest pain disappears. Everyone is thrilled. Shelly shows me how to inject Benadryl into my IV bag, which is supposed to help with the nausea. It makes me feel like I'm on a boat at sea (and I'm seasick).

February 18: Zach is barfing. Gavin has a fever. I feel sicker than ever. I can't keep anything down, even though my Zofran rate has nearly doubled in two weeks. Everything hurts. I call Garry home from work at lunch. He finds me shriveled in a recliner. A man in the ward comes to help give me a priesthood blessing. I start a low-grade fever that reaches 101 an hour later. I spend a miserable evening in the ER, receive three liters of fluids and morphine for my pain and fever, and go home with the diagnosis of "the flu."

February 19: I spend the entire day in bed. (Thankfully it is Saturday and Garry can man the troops.) I only leave my bed to throw up. I have violent bouts of chills. I lie on a heating pad, dress in layers, and have six quilts on top of me, but still shiver convulsively. One episode gets so bad that I throw up for ten minutes straight. Garry helps me into a hot shower, which is the only thing that warms me up. My temperature is 102. I call the on-call OB, who recommends the ER. Still smarting from my bad experience just 24 hours earlier, I ignore the advice. Garry tries to comfort and keep me warm all night. I have seriously never loved him more.

February 20: I wake up at 6:45 and my temperature is 103.9. I know I have to go to the hospital. Garry starts getting ready. Lexi wakes up with a major blowout -- ankles to neck -- inside footie pajamas. 45 minutes later, we "rush" out the door. Once again I experience the gawking stares of the ER staff and patrons as I am wheeled in, doubled over, with a PICC line and an IV pole. However, this time people seem to take my symptoms seriously. Garry leaves me to pick up my mom, who bought a one-way ticket to Colorado Springs,
at the local airport.

I see a doctor within five minutes of arrival. He and two nurses are hovering. They are concerned; I am nearly incoherent with pain and dehydration. The nurse can't start an IV after two very painful attempts. The "best stick" in the ER finally gets one going. The nurse takes several bottles and vials of blood and sends them off for testing. I have a nasal swab for the flu and submit a urine sample. I receive fluids and morphine. The next few hours are a blur.

My mom arrives. I cry when I see her. Garry stays home with our sick kids. By then I still don't look very good but am calm and can speak in complete sentences and open my eyes. I am sweating profusely and am acutely aware that I haven't bathed for a couple of days. The nurse removes my PICC line, which, happily, is a much less painful process than the insertion. There is lots of waiting. Finally I find out that I do not, in fact, have the flu.

Finally I am admitted as a patient. The ER nurse tells me that when I arrived she was sure I was septic. We are all relieved that it now appears I am not. She finds the baby's heartbeat, which is easily the high point of my week. I settle into a room on the third floor. By nightfall I find out I do have a bacterial infection and start antibiotics. I have been without Zofran for almost 12 hours. Getting more provides sweet relief and I eat some crackers. They come up later. Garry spends the night with me and my mom goes home to be with the kids.

February 21: After a pretty decent night of sleep, I take a shower. That is Life Experience #247 that I will never take for granted again. I realize I feel better than I have in at least three weeks, but probably two months. Life isn't perfect, but there is a plan. My OB visits and says we will get the infection under control (and determine its source), and then work on a protocol for my nausea and vomiting that I can maintain at home. Looking forward, this is my biggest concern. I have many, many questions.

But I also have many helping hands. I have been keeping a list of people who have helped my family -- and the list only includes those who have set a foot in my house, run an errand, picked up a child, etc. That list numbers 26, and most of those have helped more than once. I know there are dozens more, maybe even hundreds more, who are praying for me and my family, watching out for my kids at church and school, and encouraging me online. I am truly humbled by the service that has been rendered and will continue to be rendered while we weather this storm.

...

On another note, today is the 13-week mark of the pregnancy. My doctor says that three days of a high fever shouldn't have harmed my little one. I'm encouraged but still worried (I'm a worrier!). More than ever, I look forward to holding this baby in my arms and crying with joy that we made it....one day at a time, we made it.

25 comments:

granny said...

Tears. Love you. It is going to get better. It is.

Amanda said...

Reading this made me cry. I am so sorry you are going through all of this. You and your family are in my prayers.

Danielle said...

oh heidi-i am so so sorry you're going through such a tough time!!! it really is going to be all the sweeter when you finally do get to hold your beautiful baby because of all you've been through to get them here! Hang in there!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

A pretty gripping tale, my dear! I wish it were fiction. You are tremendously brave, and thankfully preserved! I have been so worried for you. On my knees in mighty prayer...wishing my hands could be helping.

Lyon Pride said...

My of my--I hope things start heading up. You are such a trooper!

mom2girls said...

Heidi, I don't know if you remember me (long ago) I was briefly in your ward in Beaverton. I've been a "lurker" on your blog for darn near a year (I know it was before Lexie was around!) I just want you to know that I don't know how you do it, I'm a worrier too, and I cannot imagine. You & your fam are definitely in my prayers. -Colleen Torgerson

PJ said...

Oh Heidi, my heart hurts for you after reading all of that. I so hope that the doctors can get you settled and get the healing started NOW. Glad your mom is there to help.

The Wizzle said...

We are praying for you. I wish there was something I could do besides just keep saying it! I'm glad you have backup now.

Kate said...

Heidi, silly as this may sound after all you've been through, I want you to know that all of this is making me be a better pregnant person. I simply cannot complain about one thing-- even when I want to-- because I know that what you are going through would absolutely kill me. (I'm a wimp.) My prayers are with you and baby and the rest of the family too. Please let me know if I can do (or send) anything...

girlygirl said...

I'm thinking of you every day Heidi. You are in my prayers and my thoughts. You are brave and beautiful and amazing and I hope things get better for you soon! Love you.

Kristy E.B. said...

Wow, what a rough time for you and your family. You will all be in our prayers and hopefully you can start feeling better and the baby will be healthy.

reddladybug said...

hang in there! i've been thinking about you...and praying for ya! xoxo

Juliesh said...

Thank you for the timeline. I've been following updates, but I liked getting the whole picture.

Oh, Miss Heidi! Prayers for you and the family. This little one will truly be a miracle. Take Care!!

J*a~{s}n°a said...

I really, really wish there was something I could do for you...you are in my prayers...this baby is going to be so, so special..

rachbechep said...

Thinking about you and praying for you! Wish I could be with you to help! Love ya!!!

Shaina said...

Wow. I can see why all this led you to be admitted. So glad that your mom is there, and that Garry is so wonderful at managing everything. I really hope this ends your tale of misery! Praying for you!

Adrianna said...

Heidi! What a harrowing experience! The timeline certainly puts your trials into perspective; for so much to happen in so short a time...! What a miracle angel baby this must be! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

"...You are braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem..." -A.A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)

Lisa Romer Keele said...

I'm so glad that your Mom got to go down and help out! You're in SO many prayers!

GinaJ said...

Thank you from me also for the timeline. I've been following the Facebook status updates, wondering when you get to catch a break. I hope this is it. If you are still accepting ideas for your wall of inspiration, here is one I like: "It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, it isn't the end."

Grandma said...

So sorry for all of the pain and misery. Things will get better. This is a very special baby.

Anonymous said...

heidi i'm so sorry that you are going through this. i know that you will come out of this cloud with your amazing sunny disposition. i'm praying for you and your family. if you need any kids to come for a sunny vacation, i've got playmates and air mattresses:). school, schmool. good luck! love to you!

Bethany said...

Couldn't finish this post without a few tears...praying for a big turn for the better for you and SOON!! What a blessing it will be to hold that little one in your arms!

Cassie and Chad said...

Oh my heck!!! Heidi I can't believe what you have been through! I am so happy your mom was able to come out and help, there is nothing quite like a mom to make you feel like everything will be okay! I hope you feel better soon. Prayers your way!

Jenelle said...

Holy cow! It's been ages since I've caught up with what's going on. I'm so, so, so sorry you've had such a rough time. I am so glad this part is over with, at least. I'm so thankful you have a great husband and friends to look after you.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share