Pages

Jan 27, 2010

They call me the kitchen hairdresser

I've been cutting hair for almost twelve years. The first time I wielded scissors and a comb it wasn't pretty. In the years that have passed since that dreadful day, my skills have grown and refined. Instead of taking 2 1/2 hours to complete a man's hair cut, I can do the same cut in 15 minutes. Little boy hair cuts vary in length and precision, depending on the willingness and wiggliness of the subject.

I am by no means a professional. My only clients are my husband and kids. And haircuts happen in the kitchen on Saturdays.

The boys have gone through a longer hair phase (I realize this is a relative statement), but today they asked for short cuts again. I was happy to oblige as visions of shaggy-haired, opinionated teenagers danced through my head. I don't mind my boys looking like little missionaries. But since the older boys wanted a noticeable change, we broke out the camera for before and after pictures. Zach and Ty were being silly, so we got intermediate shots of them, too.













So now you know the dirty truth -- my family gets homespun haircuts. If you sit behind us at church, be kind.

15 comments:

Adri said...

My family is stuck with homemade haircuts, too. In the years since college I think it would have been more productive for me to go to beauty school than BYU. Oh well...

Amanda said...

I grew up with homemade haircuts. But, I have yet to try them on my crew. Maybe now that we live nowhere close to my stylist sister, I'll have to learn...

Emma said...

I've been cutting hair since I got married. And my clients are my husband and kids as well.
Your haircuts look great to me!

granny said...

We were just talking about this on Saturday when I was cutting dad's hair....over the last 30 years I figure I've given him approximately 300 haircuts. Haha...that doesn't even count the kids...

You would think I'd have gotten better at it...

The Wizzle said...

I am all about the homemade haircuts! Unless you have a stylist in the family (aka FREE) then I can't imagine any sane person paying $20 a pop for kids' haircuts! No way.

The Bui's said...

Love it! I've often wondered if people take a gander at my boys hair and think who cut that, poor thing. Save money where you can right. By the way, I have always thought you family to look extrmemely hansome.

Reynolds Family said...

We are home hair cutters as well. Well, I cut everyone's hair, but get outside help with my own :)

Emmy Z. said...

Adam cuts his own hair, and he has done so since his mission. I'm quite proud, since those hair cuts don't cost us a dime.

I applaud you for your talent! I don't think Adam should ever let ME near his hair.

Chelsea said...

Oh us too! I MISS living by Linds. But even when we were close, I did a lot of the cuts. It's not always pretty. This last Saturday we decided to take the boys to the barber shop thinking it was half the mens price. The haircuts took 5 minutes, they looked cute, and the cost was no longer half price. They just changed the price that weekend. Go figure. At least I got 1 week off! :)

Colleen said...

We do home cuts too! The kids look fab! You are way better than me. Ooh! I just heard Tommy wake up! Maybe we will get there for a half hour of playgroup after all! See you soon....

Shaina said...

Heath cuts our boys' hair, and his own as well. I'm so glad too. Now all the money for haircuts can go to me!! (hahhahha...evil laugh...)

girlygirl said...

Wow!! So many "home-hair-cutters!" And I thought I was the only one! However, mine REALLY aren't that great yet. Also, I only do my kids' hair. Collin is way too "pretty boy" for that. JK. Actually, he wears his hair long for me and I am incapable of doing long hair cuts!

Shannon said...

Boy, how does everyone do it? I can trim a haircut here and there, but to do a full blown cut? No way. Where did you get your skills and bravery? I'd love to same some $$$.

Grandma said...

I never cut a head of hair until I was going to get married and then dad informed me I had to learn. Well 38 years later I still can but Heidi fired me a few years back. That doesn't hurt my feelings at all. I'll have to admit she's much better than me but I still could do it if I had to. It's very nice having a hair dresser in the family. It looks like you learned pretty well though. The boys all look great.

GinaJ said...

We are a home-hair-cut family, too. I'm super-impressed you can do a man's haircut in 15 minutes. I take about 3x that long to do Steve's hair. Same 'do every time, but it just never gets faster....

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share